Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 4.0, GNOME OS Coming In 2014 & Other Crazy Plans

Phoronix: GNOME 4.0, GNOME OS Coming In 2014 & Other Crazy Plans

While some GNOME developers and users see the once fledging desktop environment fading into abyss, other GNOME developers see nothing but GNOME getting better with the best yet to come. It's been called for this week from GUADEC that GNOME 4.0 to be released in March of 2014 along with GNOME OS. That's not all of their ambitious plans but they think they can gain a 20% market-share by 2020 and they also have some other plans on their agenda...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are we supposed to laugh or weep at these childish PR predictions.. plus their own OS.. they're as usually out of touch with reality. I hated Unity now I think it was a good idea.

Comment

I like the idea of Gnome OS distribution at least. I can see that there are benefits of having full control over the entire stack and focusing on single desktop environment. I doubt that it will get much traction though and it will never have 20% market share even if everything went perfectly.

Comment

The 20x20 slide was obviously a joke... sigh at another Phoronix GNOME article.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Are we supposed to laugh or weep at these childish PR predictions.. plus their own OS.. they're as usually out of touch with reality. I hated Unity now I think it was a good idea.
          My thoughts exactly. These guys really need to rethink their priorities. Many old users of gnome 2 decided to skip on gnome 3 in favor of other environments like KDE. Developers are leaving their team too, yet they want a 20% market share by 2020? Even if Linux got tha market share, the desktop environment of choice most probably wont be gnome, if they keep heading in the same direction theyre heading now.

What I find funniest about this is that despite the major criticism of gnome 3 being that it looks too much like a smartphone interface, and at the same time it wouldnt work for a smartphone, the gnome 3 are still targetting the mobile phone space, despite the fact that no major mobile phone runs gnome 3 (or X11 linux for that matter), and even if they did, the programs will not be optimized for use on a phone.

They truly lack a sense of direction, in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
            What I find funniest about this is that despite the major criticism of gnome 3 being that it looks too much like a smartphone interface, and at the same time it wouldnt work for a smartphone, the gnome 3 are still targetting the mobile phone space, despite the fact that no major mobile phone runs gnome 3 (or X11 linux for that matter), and even if they did, the programs will not be optimized for use on a phone.
            I do not see the word "phone" anywhere except on the market share slide. You're fantasizing.

Comment

Gnome OS! I love that thinking.

Comment

Make no little plans.
                They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

Daniel Burnham
                I thought somethink like that before I read the slides, so why do you say they are not in touch with the reality, they even dont belive that their plans are realistik but they think that its better to have big plans and realize only a port of it instead having only small plans.

So maybe you did not read the slides carefully or you just want to flame them...

and naturaly most of the readers of your text did not read the slides so they just belive this...

dont like that methods...

Comment

Really wish some developers would rally around Qt 5 and make an alternative to KDE. I'm tired of Gnome 3 and I dislike all the other GTK attempts to go back in time like Mate.
                  Despite the rocky start I think KDE and Unity are the best bets moving forward. However, now that Qt is LGPL(has been for a long time) and has an open governance model, I really would like to see a desktop environment take it seriously other than KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    I do not see the word "phone" anywhere except on the market share slide. You're fantasizing.
                    I admit i havent read the slides, as I am using my smartphone, but I did read this in the article

As a plan, they want more GNOME 3, more focus on mobile, and GNOME as an operating system / Linux distribution.
                    The "more focus on mobile" was what I was referring to

Though if it's not in the slides, then I guess I'm mistaken... but gnome 3 really does feel like theyre trying too much to focus on getting a smartphone-style experience on the desktop (which doesnt work)

Comment

Working...
                    X