X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gens

• gens
    replied
    good thing about contributing to open source is that you can integrate the things you like, thus like integrating them(if the caretakers agree that it wont bother the rest of the..thing)
    bad thing is some people dont suggest on how to improve, but go to extremes

i, as alot of people, have voiced what bothers me (the touch orientation thing)
    but i installed fluxbox and am happy with it(i think xfce is a great as a gnome 2.x alternative, and install it for newbies) as fluxbox shares my passion for simplicity

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites, web browsers, instant messengers, music players, etc. - things that have no reason to be DE centric. This particularly annoys me because none of these types of programs are better than the DE-neutral alternatives, and many distros include them due to being the default or more integration. I don't have a problem with a core program having different GUIs depending on the DE, such as recordmydesktop. There's a GTK and a Qt version of that, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.
    Evience is also a good example its one of the best programms ever, very clean fast and does what it should do perfectly. Way better than the adobe alternative, and way better than xpdf... so its not always stupid to build such stuff, but even on the browserside if I would have to choose between firefox and epiphany I would go for epiphany... but at the moment I prefer chromium more... but we will see what gnome does here... it does not make gnome harder to support if maybe epiphany gets only small mini bugfixes for years and only from then to then sometimes they get some bigger updates so it does not hurt the project much.

then there is totem and gstreamer, I like them much more than vlc. lately I use umplayer because with the zacate system its faster... then gstreamer, it was gnome-centric maybe sometime but it seems to become nearly a starndard I think even kde uses it now? So if the devs do develop it because they like to do it and they would not develop other stuff, you gain nothing by saying to them that they should stop making such stuff...

Gnome-office I dont use office suits much, but when I do I often only need a small letter without much magic before libreoffice was there, openoffice was a static monster a dinosaurier, its like using a tank to drive to the supermarket... So yes I sometimes used abiword for do that or using tk-brief or something... maybe libreoffice makes that code so fast that its also good and fast for small things, we will see ^^

gnumeric is also not bad... so to save yoru ram or reduce loading time of it, such small things arent that bad...
    And with odt why not have additional office suits? It does not hurt anybody... you are not forced to use it, and maybe there would be less such programms if the big projekts would have made their stuff looking nativ in kde/gnome better and sooner... instead of focusing on windows.

the comparsion is maybe not 100% accurate, but its a bit like blaming microsoft for giving you wordpad when there are better free/non-free alternatives availibe... I think to have a basic editior pre installed is a good idea and something that feels simple... instead of a thing that works better for programmers.
    blackiwid
    Last edited by blackiwid; 28 July 2012, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Every DE except LXDE and Unity has major priority issues (not that Unity doesn't have issues, but it is moving toward its goal):

Both GNOME and KDE keep focusing on things that they never had to touch in the first place, such as how they both have their own office suites, web browsers, instant messengers, music players, etc. - things that have no reason to be DE centric. This particularly annoys me because none of these types of programs are better than the DE-neutral alternatives, and many distros include them due to being the default or more integration. I don't have a problem with a core program having different GUIs depending on the DE, such as recordmydesktop. There's a GTK and a Qt version of that, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.

As for other DEs, Enlightment focuses more on special effects than functionality and XFCE keeps tacking on features while somehow self-praising itself as being light-weight. I personally find XFCE's default programs (such as text editors, file browsers, etc) to be the worst of all DEs.

I'm currently only using LXDE right now because its the only DE I have found where the developers strictly focus on improving the GUI and nothing else. I don't want developers spending time on half-assed programs and features with blatant superior alternatives. It just divides the attention to things that really matter, the things that everybody of a DE would use.

Leave a comment:

• curaga

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by ov1d1u View Post
    The "bad things" for GNOME they pointed out was their focus on the traditional desktop [...]

Seems that some people never learn for their past mistakes...
    This. What brought gnome 1 and 2 their success, traditional desktop, is now "bad" - and what alienated most gnome users, cell phone UI, is the "new target for 4.0".

Whatever they're smoking, I want some.

Leave a comment:

• Massa

• Massa
    replied
    Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
    Can you name one item that is not accessible by mouse or keyboard but only by finger?
    I think being able to quickly launch an application by simply typing the first few letters of its name is too desktop-unfriendly for some people.

Leave a comment:

• madjr

• madjr
    replied
    I wonder Whom they meant with fragmentation / freeloaders ?

Leave a comment:

• 0xCAFE
    Phoronix Member

• 0xCAFE
    replied
    Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    They practically dropped support for non-touch devices when they released gnome shell.
    Can you name one item that is not accessible by mouse or keyboard but only by finger?

Thanks to canonical for providing a fallback mode that is almost as good as gnome 2.
    The fallback mode is provided by Gnome as well, not by Canonical.

Leave a comment:

• dstaubsauger
    Phoronix Member

• dstaubsauger
    replied
    focus on the traditional desktop
    They practically dropped support for non-touch devices when they released gnome shell. Thanks to canonical for providing a fallback mode that is almost as good as gnome 2.

Leave a comment:

• ninez

• ninez
    replied
    Gnome developers have delusions of grandeur, big time.

I suspect GnomeOS will fall flat on it's face. I also suspect it will just be Fedora Re-branded with some modest changes. If i am correct on the latter, it is unlikely they will pull (and sustain) much of an audience/user-base from other well-established linux distributions, such as Ubuntu/debian, Archlinux, gentoo, etc. I think there are a lot of linux users whom have picked their distro based on the specific tools that they provide (package management as one example). What real advantages is GnomeOS going to provide _over_ the current linux distributions these users are already happy with? My feeling is that they are going to have to provide some VERY VERY compelling features to gain any traction, at all.

Gnome on mobile isn't too likely to be widely adopted, either. it's essentially the same story; what compelling features are they going to be able to provide over iOS or Android? (if they can even 'match' those platforms, which i think is unlikely)... One could argue that it is an open platform and a 'real' linux distribution unlike android, but at the end of the day - does the average consumer even care about that? (probably not, although most people in this forum would). At the point where we have mobile devices that can run XYZ linux distro (with proper support), people will just want to run whatever distro they like on their tablet. Hell, they might even use Gnome with GS or with another shell (or not at all).

I do however really like that they are planning an SDK, that seems like a good idea if you actually want people to target your platform.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    X.Org ATI Driver Developer

• agd5f
    replied
    Why does everyone always want to create their own OS? GnomeOS, FirefoxOS, ChromeOS, etc. One of the chief complaints from most projects is lack of developers, but somehow a desktop specific OS will somehow make things better? Doesn't that require more developers and fragment existing developers? What does a custom OS buy you other than more stuff to support directly and less chance to share the load?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X