GNOME Is Losing Relevance On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    The problem is the taskbar doesn't scale either, even assuming you are grouping by application. Even if it did, it isnt clear to me that "muscle memory" will scale.
    Alt-tabbing works well, and is very fast, b/c it lets you use more of the screen, and overview scales even better since it uses most of the screen, but as you add more apps each app gets smaller and let recognizable.
    The only thing I know that will scale is group by task. Virtual desktops are a primitive way to achieve this but require too much manual work to both setup and use. KDE has Activities, which is a more refined version that lets you name and customize each space but is not very well designed (from a ux standpoint, but this and bugs have always been the problems with KDE). Something similar to that, but offered in a more user friendly way, would be fantastic. The obvious GS method to do this would be to get rid of the virtual desktops, allow dnd of app windows to create groups, and name each group. This is what firefox does and it scales better than anything I've ever seen and is very intuitive to use, but it isn't very discoverable. Adding that to Overview fixes the discoverability.
    Having something like firefox panorama for the gnome-shell overlay is indeed a very intriguing idea!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      It's definitely subjective. Which is why the user base will sort it out eventually.
      Certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        People shouldnt habe to read a handbook in order to use a desktop efficiently. The shortcut overlay that is planned will help alot in this area, but most users should only need to know a couple in order to work quickly. Vim/emacs style is great once you learn it, but it takes to do so. A desktop user shouldn't need such dedication in order to use a desktop.
        Actually a quick sheet is good enough. Surprisingly, some people seems to be too lazy to read the cheatsheet being stuck on their own paradigms of 'mr know-all'. Younger generations are open to new tools. When reading some comments, the reason is to stay in Windows 95 metaphore because some of them grew with that concept. We, as users, are supposed to be desktop agnostic, I guess that notion has been lost a decade ago.

Comment

phronix guy = apple fan

Wait, the Phoronix guy is still a Crapple user? Wow you just lost street cred. Running a virtualized Ubuntu as your main desktop.. yeah sure.

Comment

Originally posted by slojam View Post
            Wait, the Phoronix guy is still a Crapple user? Wow you just lost street cred. Running a virtualized Ubuntu as your main desktop.. yeah sure.
            He should start a new site called Phrapple so we don't have to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
              Lets be reality. If you put a computer with windows aero, and one with openbox, 90% of ppl (random percentage out of my ass) would pick aero. Same with openbox vs KDE. Or lxde vs KDE.

If I installed on my moms computer something like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/...956bb3c729.jpg instead of chakra, she would be pissed.
              I'm not saying it's impossible to be pretty and at the same time practical/useful... in fact I think Windows Aero does a pretty good job at this. I haven't used openbox much so I can't really compare, but userfriendliness does count a lot as a factor in deciding what DE to use.

GNOME 3, in my opinion, wasn't exactly user-friendly though.. when it seems to prefer hiding a lot of commonly used options, like the shutdown button for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                I really don't like GNOME 3.x , KDE 4.x and even worse , UNITY.

For me is for a long time already XFCE or LXDE.
                If its long time, how have you got over broken session management on both (XFCE & LXDE)?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.
                  Ubuntu is great, but Unity needs more polishing. It doesn't remember application filters after reboot and this is very annoying. It's also unusable with fglrx on my box, because software center is crashing frequently and fglrx setting menu doesn't start. With Kubuntu I don't have such problems with AMD driver.

Comment

Why you do use hardware and software made by Evil? Why do you promote their products on a site that's supposed to be related to Linux and Linux-friendly? Don't you think it's somewhat two-faced?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.
                      I had to switch AWAY from Unity just to get consistent results when benchmarking and profiling. Unity is nice, but it's a big fail when comes to not affecting frame rates in an unpredictable way.

Comment

Working...
                      X