Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.9 Is Faster & More Responsive

Phoronix: KDE 4.9 Is Faster & More Responsive

KDE 4.9 will be released in August and overall it feels more responsive and faster during desktop use than its predecessors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by asdx
    Great, KDE has matured a lot, that makes me really happy.

Now if they could only split kdelibs into smaller and individual libs, port things to Qt5 and Wayland, and keep doing incremental changes and bugfixes, that would be amazing.

Thanks KDE people!
    Would not be a bad idea to split the kdelibs package into smaller packages as its gotten quite big

Comment

Now if they could only split kdelibs into smaller and individual libs,
      They are already in the process of doing this. The initiative is called "frameworks 5" and has been underway for a while now. It will still be a while before it is done, there are a lot of inter-dependencies between bits of kdelibs and kde-runtime that need to be untangled and cleaned out if the individual libs are actually going to be useful.

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for letting us know.
        Most people already know.

Comment

I'm not seeing any difference, other then more frequent crashes. Kopete seems to lead the pack. I know Telepathy is supposed to be the new kid on the block, but that doesn't even show me my yahoo contacts; which is a step up because it used to be unable to log in.
          It's not all bad, it's just a crash or two in a whole day of using KDE. Hopefully the final version will fix these.

Comment

KDE is already pretty fast for me. Can't wait til it hits stable!

Comment

Have you reported those issues to https://bugs.kde.org/ ?
              Report what? I'm just working in a completely different window, when I get a popup that Kopete has crashed. If I hit the report bug button, it says it needs to install additional packages on my machine.

Comment

It's late and I'm tired and probably not reading too carefully but did I just read "KDE becoming more responsive and faster"? But then gaming benchmarks? I mean, how does a gaming benchmark symbolize the responsiveness of a DE?
                And the difference between 178 and 180 fps is really a significiant measure not just a measurement artifact, a summation of noise against signal?
                I mean, fine if games get 2 more fps in the next version of KDE SC but is there any quantitative way to measure desktop experience?
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  I'm tired and probably not reading too carefully
                  This.

He clearly said:
                  "I was also curious to see whether KWin compositing window manager improvements for KDE 4.9 had any benefit to running OpenGL full-screen games."

which I understand as "I'm aware of the fact that responsiveness does not mean faster games, but give it a try".

And got the result:
                  "Yes, indeed, KDE 4.9 feels much nicer! [...] there wasn't any major change in performance"

Comment

Have you reported those issues to https://bugs.kde.org/ ?
                    Moste bugs that affects connection and displaing contacs relay on telepathy for example telepathy gabble is buggy like a hell gtalk and facebook chat don't work.

Comment

Working...
                    X