KDE 4.9 Is Faster & More Responsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    Moste bugs that affects connection and displaing contacs relay on telepathy for example telepathy gabble is buggy like a hell gtalk and facebook chat don't work.
    Periods and commas are your friends.

Comment

In love with KDE, here!

Comment

KDE is an embarassment

KDE is still far to bloated, sluggish and unstable to be considered a usable desktop environment. This latest update does nothing to address these flaws. The only sane desktops for power users and those who want to get work done are Xfce, LXDE and Cinnamon. The rest are junk.

Comment

KDE has improved remarkably since I've started using it. Great leaps in advancements in software features, greatly improved stability, and performance. As far as performance goes, I think the main areas of concern left are Kwin compositing and RAM usage. I can't wait to see those issues finally resolved. KDE's easily has the most potential among the DE's. If it's few rough edges go away, then maybe we can start geting people to come back to KDE from Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by seraphim View Post
            KDE is still far to bloated, sluggish and unstable to be considered a usable desktop environment. This latest update does nothing to address these flaws. The only sane desktops for power users and those who want to get work done are Xfce, LXDE and Cinnamon. The rest are junk.
            Actually for power users, the only real sane one IS KDE.. at least out of the full blown DEs. Most power users actually use something like openbox or fluxbox, etc. Most Linux Power users would be happy with a screen full of terminals.

I actually run Gnome-shell simply because it gets out of my way more than any of the other DEs. Although sometimes a little too far out of my way (like missing chat notifications), but there are fixes for that.

Unfortunately now Gnome-shell has programmed my brain to utilize the super key to launch the dashboard, so when I try to use KDE or any other Linux DE, it slows me down..

Anyone know if there still isn't a way to make KDE use that key as a way to open up the launcher?

leech

Comment

You must not be using the same KDE I've been using. I find that apps start quickly, the UI is responsive, and it's actually fairly well-organized. I'm getting tired of the trope that KDE is bloated (even though it's measure to be no worse than GNOME or even XFCE these days), that it's slow or that it has too many buttons and menus. If you want a dumbed down interface with no fuss, just buy a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
                You must not be using the same KDE I've been using. I find that apps start quickly, the UI is responsive, and it's actually fairly well-organized. I'm getting tired of the trope that KDE is bloated (even though it's measure to be no worse than GNOME or even XFCE these days), that it's slow or that it has too many buttons and menus. If you want a dumbed down interface with no fuss, just buy a Mac.
                I think that most of the people who have issues with KDE being slow don't have enough RAM. That is KDE's biggest flaw. It uses huge amounts of RAM. Last I checked nepomuk slows things down too, but that's easy enough to disable. I'd say that KDE isn't bloated so much as it runs too much all the time. For instance, i don't need or want Akonodi (which consumes a huge amount of the RAM I've mentioned) running if I'm not using Kontact or something. I'd rather have the option to only run these components on demand, not all the time. It opens when I open kontact, it closes when I close kontact.

Btw, I can't speak for anyone else, but the Quick Access plasma widget is so amazing. I'm so spoiled on it that any time I use any other desktop envirnment, I get really impatient and flustered because I have to go through all of these extra steps to access documents and what not.

Comment

Since we have the KDE fan/expert crowd on here:

Does kwin finally have a decent desktop zoom? Exactly like compiz's Enhanced Zoom Desktop plugin? Pre-defined zoom levels accesible via shortcuts, animated and smooth zoom-in and out to any level, and configurable mouse tracking?

Last time I checked (4.8, I guess) all I could find was some 'effect' (?? wtf? it's not a toy or an 'effect', it's an accessibility feature!!) that did zoom but it was the same horrble un-ergonomic half-baked clumsy crap that was in 4.0, nowhere near the compiz plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I'm not seeing any difference, other then more frequent crashes. Kopete seems to lead the pack. I know Telepathy is supposed to be the new kid on the block, but that doesn't even show me my yahoo contacts; which is a step up because it used to be unable to log in.
                    It's not all bad, it's just a crash or two in a whole day of using KDE. Hopefully the final version will fix these.
                    Is it just kopete that crashes? It's nearly dead project, but still being used, because Telepathy isn't mature yet.

Comment

Yeah right... and most people use KDE and Unity from some reasons. I fail to see how KDE is bloated, sluggish and unstable compared to Cinnamon which is based on gnome...

Comment

Working...
                      X