Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Compiz. Using it now
    Does Compiz really work with Kwin nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      I'm not using KDE now, simply because I don't mind using XFCE or GNOME2.
      Compiz works very good with latter and acceptable with former. Most issues with XFCE are due to different approaches to workspaces, here I assign keycombos /mouse window region triggers for expo, moving between etc. Its minor issue.

Overall, I can switch-tile all windows, overview them to cherry pick, place them in corners (via key combos). IE stuff that makes working with windows a bit more productive. Its not ratpoison or awesome efficiency, but it does provide management options that are absent in XFWM.

If I'd to work under KDE, I don't think I would need Compiz, because KWin provides basic functionality already.

So don't know, haven't got a chance to replace it, yet... I suppose it does.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        You would use it instead of kwin not with kwin. It used to work quite good in the ol' 4.0-4.3 days. I used it because kwin was too demanding for my old pc and it worked without major issues (the only issues I had was some behaviour I didn't like, but I can't remember what it was).

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
          What a silly trolling
          Are you being serious?
          If you couldn't tell it was in jest you need to go back to (offline) internet school.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            question: if you love gnome3 - why not just use the original and switch over to windows? At least it is stable AND more useful. You don't even need to download addons to change the fonts.
            I love some of the ideas, especially original ideas from the design doc, of g3, I just don't like some of the devs/designers choices. Luckily GS is very flexible. Also, I think it funny that a KDE user would accuse Gnome of being similar to Windows. If anything you should say I should move to OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              And what if one wants tiling, compositing, and tabbing? I'm not aware of another WM that does it all.
              Most if not all modern tiling WMs support tabs. Compositing you can get through Compiz or xcompmgr or cairo-compgr or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Are you being serious?
                If you couldn't tell it was in jest you need to go back to (offline) internet school.
                You apparently haven't been involved in the gnome/KDE flame wars very long.

Comment

I used tiling quite a bit when I used kde. Now i've switched to gnome 3, but this does seem like a lose. At least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    And now Kwin doesn't do that either
                    You you even read more that just the headline?
                    The headline is simply wrong. The current of KWin (4.8) has tiling support, the upcoming version 4.9 will have tiling support, and the version after that (4.10) will have tiling support but implemented via another mechanism (JavaScript instead of C++).

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Compiz. Using it now
                    Is that thing even working on any distribution that's not Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      You you even read more that just the headline?
                      The headline is simply wrong. The current of KWin (4.8) has tiling support, the upcoming version 4.9 will have tiling support, and the version after that (4.10) will have tiling support but implemented via another mechanism (JavaScript instead of C++).
                      I did. The article says "we removed feature X, and promise to bring it back later via another mechanism."

Not only does that mean that current kwin is without feature X, from watching patterns in software development, this pattern means that feature X will never be restored.

Comment

Working...
                      X