Enlightenment E17 Is Going To Be Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vtorri View Post
    e17 is already highly configurable (some people don't like this, btw, as it's sometimes difficult to find where to modify what they want). Feel free to open tickets if you want more features
    If its difficult for someone to find what they want its usually because its grouped in a wrong way.

BTW is it possible to configure it to have a menu similar to Mac Os X Launchpad or have the menu bar "hidden" like here

I need to set up e17 in a VM and test it a bit since its been a while since the last time i played with it.

Comment

After all 0.17 is just a number. I have seen programs with version numbers like NT 6 and they were a pile of crap.
      Or things with version numbers around 200 and they are still not perfect.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        If its difficult for someone to find what they want its usually because its grouped in a wrong way.

BTW is it possible to configure it to have a menu similar to Mac Os X Launchpad or have the menu bar "hidden" like here

I need to set up e17 in a VM and test it a bit since its been a while since the last time i played with it.
        Try Everything, it might be what you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          E17 is just an euphemism for Enlightenment 0.17. How about releasing Enlightenment 1.0 at some point?
          Enlightenment 1.0 == I no longer work on E after that. I'm done. E has everything I ever wanted it to have and i have nothing left to put in. Do you want that?

Comment

no - no mac-style menu bar support in e17. no plans. we have enough work to do in just fixing the bug list and polishing the features we already have to release level, not adding new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Perl 6.
              PHP 6.
              LaTeX 3.
              Black Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
                no - no mac-style menu bar support in e17. no plans. we have enough work to do in just fixing the bug list and polishing the features we already have to release level, not adding new ones.
                I didn't mean global like ubuntu or mac os. The mac os thing i mentioned had to do with the launcher. ie customize a behavior that when you click the e icon for example to present you with all the available apps. The menu i had in mind would look something like the drawing below. You click it and presents you with the menu. Similar to firefox without menu bar.

Comment

I didn't mean global like ubuntu or mac os. The mac os thing i mentioned had to do with the launcher. ie customize a behavior that when you click the e icon for example to present you with all the available apps. The menu i had in mind would look something like the drawing below. You click it and presents you with the menu. Similar to firefox without menu bar.

that's still the same kind of thing as a global menu - it's exposing an app controlled set of ui data (a menu tree structure with icons, text, and possibly much more in it) to the wm to draw and handle. it'd need toolkit integration to do (the same kind of work done for the global menu integration). as such that work is being done via dbus and that's the totally wrong way to do it if your display system is x11, so i'm not going to go down that path as it's just wrong. so if we don't go there, with no toolkit exposing abilities to do this, there is no data to display such a menu...

admittedly we can do it in our own toolkit (EFL). but gtk/qt won't get anything out of it without work.

Comment

Thanks for the answers raster. I think it would be a nice feature to have -UX wise- since we are moving away from X11 but anyway. I am not a dev.

As for the launcher?? Does it also require a lot of coding? (something similar to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchpad_%28Mac_OS_X%29)

Comment

Thanks for the answers raster. I think it would be a nice feature to have -UX wise- since we are moving away from X11 but anyway. I am not a dev.

As for the launcher?? Does it also require a lot of coding? (something similar to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchpad_%28Mac_OS_X%29)
                      i dont see what this feature has to do with x11 other than in HOW it is technically implemented? anyway as for launcher - can be done. no plans on doing it for e17. we already have all we need. we have enough work to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X