Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    sorry but Duke NF beat it a year ago:

Duke Nukem Forever is coming! Check out this official trailer for the famous game. In this gameplay, Duke shoots a lot of stuff. Also, a toilet.IGN's YouTube...

you lost the bet.
    What I meant was that Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years from start of development to release, E17 is currently at 12 years. Plus it was a joke.

Comment

With the over-decade long dev time, I expect some grand ceremony should it actually be released.

Like, renting a huge cruiser, going in the middle of the atlantic, have Linus arrive in a helicopter with strippers to sprinkle the new release with holy penguin pee. Maybe have Cook and Gates around too.

Though, with the world ending on Dec 21, I expect the release to be tagged at 23:59 on Dec 20 and the actual release (tarballs, news, etc) to never make it out before the end of the world.

Comment

I really do hope for a good and soon release. The world is already in need for a small and performant window manager. I can run KDE still on older systems but E17 would probably be a real blast there. Also I want it on my AMD Geode 500 MHz. I could even think about using something like it as a main desktop on my quad core. Just because it get the job done, reacts really turbo fast and everything. It helps me working but doesn't keep me from it. Mhm, I really need something that combines the functionality and configurability of KDE with the speed of E17 and the resource usage of twm (I actually use it, really! Sometimes. And it hurts.).

Aunt Edith says:
        That would be a project I'd love to crowdfund. Finance a developer to get the bugs squashed.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          With so much dev time this had, is there a 0-bug(TM) guarantee? :-D
          Like the guy on the first page, I use E17 at work and at home, and I'm having good luck with it. I recently had close to 200 days of uptime on my home box, where I game (under wine mostly) and stream movies quite a bit. I lost my uptime due to my daughter unplugging the surge protector a month or two ago :|

Comment

hmmm...

Frankly,

I felt that steam on linux was more likely (before it was recently confirmed I mean).

But hey, Duke Nuke 'Em forever is out, GNU/hurd is in a *relatively* usable state... so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              It's still ahead of the Duke Nukem Forever schedule. What's next, a stable release of GNU HURD?
              Perl 6.
              PHP 6.
              LaTeX 3.

Comment

E17 vs Unity; Bodhi; Pulseaudio

First, congrats to the Enlightenment developers. I've been following this project for awhile, and consider it one of the most promising innovations happening in the Linux world.

I really don't understand why Ubuntu went off the rails with Unity, which I've tried (including the latest release) and found to be annoying at best, when they could have gone with Enlightenment. When I think of all those developer hours spent trying to make Unity usable (with mixed success so far) I want to cry - if they'd contributed all that effort into helping Enlightenment rather than reinventing the wheel, E17 would have been released by now.

Anyway, thumbs-up to the Bodhi folks. They've got the most nicely tweaked E17 desktop I've seen. I've tried the E17 package in Ubuntu, and though it's OK, Bodhi is definitely better.

The only real problem I had with Bodhi was getting the microphone to work. I was told that Pulseaudio is not natively supported in Enlightenment, but that was going to be included in the final release. I'm wondering if that's so? I've love to see it - unlike a lot of people, I actually do like Pulseaudio.

Comment

E17 is just an euphemism for Enlightenment 0.17. How about releasing Enlightenment 1.0 at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    I really do hope for a good and soon release. The world is already in need for a small and performant window manager. I can run KDE still on older systems but E17 would probably be a real blast there. Also I want it on my AMD Geode 500 MHz. I could even think about using something like it as a main desktop on my quad core. Just because it get the job done, reacts really turbo fast and everything. It helps me working but doesn't keep me from it. Mhm, I really need something that combines the functionality and configurability of KDE with the speed of E17 and the resource usage of twm (I actually use it, really! Sometimes. And it hurts.).
                    e17 is already highly configurable (some people don't like this, btw, as it's sometimes difficult to find where to modify what they want). Feel free to open tickets if you want more features

about cpu and memory usage, it depends a lot on the theme. Animations means a lot of images to be loaded in mem and is cpu hungry. Fortunately, we have a cache server that will automatically reuse an image if it has already been loaded, hence less mem consumption.

I know that raster has tested e17 with slow computers (iirc, a 486) and it was usable.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      E17 is just an euphemism for Enlightenment 0.17. How about releasing Enlightenment 1.0 at some point?
                      when raster is satisfied with the windows manager. Actually, he likes a lot e17. e18 will be e17 with some improvements, so it will not be written from scratch. Then e18 will be close to e 1.0

Comment

Working...
                      X