Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Issues Statement Regarding Future Use Of Qt

Phoronix: KDE Issues Statement Regarding Future Use Of Qt

The KDE development community has issued a statement concerning future use of the Qt tool-kit within the KDE desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good. The last thing this world needs right now is yet another toolkit. Let's keep the forking to a minimum. At some point in the future it would be nice if most applications settled on one major toolkit, just for consistency's sake.

Comment

I'll repeat here what I posted on their blog:
      Formal agreements for businesses are called 'Contracts'.

Contracts are typically include a series of obligations that both parties must meet specified requirements for the specified terms of the agreement. If one or the other party wants to abandon the agreement then they must face some penalty or buy themselves out of the contract.

There are fun details besides that, but that is what makes a formal agreement with a business.

So the KDE folks have a contract with Nokia?

If not.. it's not really a formal agreement at all.

Basically unless there is a contract then Nokia can pretty much say whatever they want as long as they are careful with how they phrase it. Besides that: I wouldn't be surprised if QT 6 is just wrappers around Windows 8 APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
        I'll repeat here what I posted on their blog:

Basically unless there is a contract then Nokia can pretty much say whatever they want as long as they are careful with how they phrase it. Besides that: I wouldn't be surprised if QT 6 is just wrappers around Windows 8 APIs.
        They had addressed that in the blog... take a look at this link http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php the current and previous legal documents are at the bottom of that page.

edit: Infact the blog poster sent you the same comment I am here
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 09 July 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: KDE Issues Statement Regarding Future Use Of Qt

The KDE development community has issued a statement concerning future use of the Qt tool-kit within the KDE desktop environment...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNTc
          I don't really see a need for a statement of this kind. KDE is so closely tied to Qt that I'm not sure they could disentangle themselves if all professional development on Qt ceased.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
            Good. The last thing this world needs right now is yet another toolkit. Let's keep the forking to a minimum. At some point in the future it would be nice if most applications settled on one major toolkit, just for consistency's sake.

No just no... We need more toolkits, outside of QT and ETK everything else sucks, GTK+ is terribad, WXwindows sucks, GNUstep is lame...

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              I'm not sure where you live, but AFAIK in most (all?) European countries (and I'm pretty sure Germany is one of them) even a simpel oral agreement is legally considered to be a contract.

(Obviously the existence of a written agreement is easier to prove than a spoken one, and the more detailed an agreement is the less has to be decided by a judge in case one party feels wronged, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a contract.)

Comment

Working...
              X