X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
    Ever heard of GNOME Shell? Javascript.
    Ever heard of GIMP? Scheme.
    An optional because gnome is crazy about web and mobile systems.Python have a bindings before javascript bindings existence.A lot of code is written using python.Python is a standard on linux desktop.
    Zeitgeist before vala was written using python.Vala is a good alternative because it does not need a VM.
    Gimp is optional app written using C and can use Scheme to some scripting.FSF have a very good implementation of Scheme.

Originally posted by directhex View Post
    You never mentioned which resources you felt were being cannibalized. Disk space? RAM? Pixie dust?
    VM languages requires more CPU and RAM to run on a standard linux ,increasing the minimum requirements to run a linux distro.2 VMs on the same system is not good.
    A compiled language is better in this case.Like D and Go.These languages have a compiler on gcc backend.
    And again,linux users/dev will never promote a Microsoft system to be default on linux.

An awful lot of your system is under permissive licenses. But Mono is different because LOOK BEHIND YOU A THREE-HEADED MONKEY.
    Wrong.Is not mono fault,but people behind mono.Banshee is a MIT licensed project .And mono evangelists is trying to replace rhythmbox which is GPL.And Icazasoft promotes a lot of times permissive licenses.

So cross-platform is bad, and more games for Linux is bad? Gotcha.
    It's not bad,but it's not good.Mono does not help to promote an alternative to MS .net.Instead promote Net guys to write .NET apps because they know they will be able to write code. NET and able to run on multiple platforms. This is not an . NET alternative . This is promoting. NET. Mono will NEVER try to be a competitor to MS .NET.

MonoDevelop actually detects all installed versions of Mono on the system, and lets you build/run your apps with them, regardless of what version of .NET you're running MD itself with - see the Preferences/.NET Runtimes settings screen, and the Run/Run With menu. It means you can easily test your app in both new and old versions of Mono, to check for regressions or behaviour changes. Convenient and easy.
    After the gtk installation and monodevelop installation using MS.NET ,yes it's possible to configure monodevelop to use mono for compile/debug programs.
    Last edited by lapis; 07 July 2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by me
      Mono/.NET can compile down directly to machine code as well. It's a fairly common optimization tactic on Windows.
      Originally posted by lapis View Post
      Not a good solution.Compiled languages are better.Even Eiffel is better.Go and D have good compilers for linux.
      .NET is a compiled language. That's my point. There's no difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
        Java uses .zip for .jar compression rather than something modern and compact, but I don't freak out about that.
        Small nitpick: the Java .jar file spec is based on a very old version of the .zip spec. "Modern" .zip[1] also supports e.g. BZIP2 & LZMA instead of Deflate compression, but the Java spec was never changed to allow using those (probably because of backwards compatibility or to keep things simple).

[1] See e.g. the 2007 .zip format spec.

Comment

• There's really nothing wrong with mono, I'm so sick of the ridiculous amount of anti-mono trolling in the linux community, people need to get over themselves. I don't care what the app is written in as long as it works well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            There's really nothing wrong with mono, I'm so sick of the ridiculous amount of anti-mono trolling in the linux community, people need to get over themselves. I don't care what the app is written in as long as it works well.
            It is tiring and to be honest, not to mention that when the attacks become personal it is rather uncomfortable. I am e.g. Very tired of opening my inbox and finding hate mail along with insulting unfounded claims about where my money comes from.

We, like most Open Source, people do this because we love it, having people heap that much irrational uninformed hate on it, and us personally, doesn't exactly ruin our lives but it just makes it that much harder to enjoy life.

I really wish people would inform themselves, not just about the facts but the harm spreading falsehoods and hate does.

I have seen Linux lose a lot of talented developers to OS X due to the sheer amounts of hate in Linux for Mono, and I will admit after having moved to a Mac myself the one thing I certainly don't miss is the anti-mono trolls.

I arranged this Hackfest for the fun and the love, to get great stuff into users hands and to get our development platform up to scratch for GNOME3 (though gir makes that unreasonably hard).

That being said, I am going back to Boston in October for Monospace and I have accepted a seat on Monkey Squares board (the non-profit that arranges Monospace) so expect next years Hackfest to be even bigger and more awesome. I hope I have some great announcements to share soon.

Comment

• One thing that's blatantly raising a middle finger at us, is the title of the thing. "Gnome/Mono festival of love." It's like they're saying "we're in bed with Microsoft and making love" and laughing at us. I always disliked Gnome devs for their attitude. Now I dislike them even more.

I really hope Gnome dies. Soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                It's like they're saying "we're in bed with Microsoft and making love" and laughing at us
                With this kind of attitude, you're so easy to laugh at.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  One thing that's blatantly raising a middle finger at us, is the title of the thing. "Gnome/Mono festival of love." It's like they're saying "we're in bed with Microsoft and making love" and laughing at us. I always disliked Gnome devs for their attitude. Now I dislike them even more.

Actually I picked the name as a counter to the abundant hate people such as yourself spread. I felt like our developers needed a pick me up and a smile to hopefully drown out the sea of malice that is thrown at them regularly.

Laughing at you, quite the contrary, people like you fill me with sadness and a degree of misery. Your behavior towards other human beings is quite frankly disturbing and distasteful. You have given me no reason to feel otherwise about you given your actions and words above. Nothing about you encourages me to laugh, at you, at life, at anything really.

Comment

• Mono made Linux possible at my former workplace

I agree with you directhex.

When I got my eyes open for open source, I had worked as developer in Microsoft technology too long to make a sudden switch - I have to earn a living. I have worked as project leader for a group of 4 developer the last 6 year. During this time I have got the company to switch to a large degree from closed source to open source. Replaced SourceSafe with subversion. Using bugzilla and much more. Using two Debian servers to host our Open Source products. My company were a MICROSOFT partner, but in the instances where Open Source was clearly better alternative than Microsoft I recommended Open Source and today Open source is a big part of the company. For us Mono was a requirement for using Debian servers. We were too small and to few resources and too little time to use another environment than .net under Linux for the few scripts/application we needed under linux. It was with pragmatism I was able to convince the company to switch to a large degree to Open Source, with zelotry and purity I I would have failed, and the company would have been 100% closed source, instead of 40% Open source as today.

Comment

• Originally posted by timetopat View Post
                      How am I trolling? I feel my first sentence is pretty spot on. These insults and comments come from 1995. It has been stated time and time again by other users that microsoft is a contributor to the kernel and nobody seems to have a comeback for that besides, "MS BAD, PATENTS BAD, RMS GOOD" They also seem to complement Apple who I think is a far worse company than it used to be with its lawsuits.

I use linux, I love my linux desktop, but liking linux desktop doesn't mean you have to hate Microsoft. Hating X doesn't mean Y is better. Hating Windows doesn't magically make flaws go away.
                      no ms code in my kernel mate...

Comment

Working...
                      X