GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dufoli View Post
    2) Do not mix up open source and linux. It is not the same things. Linux and Windows are on the same market but not open source and microsoft...
    I think Microsoft itself disagrees with you: http://www.opensource.ac.uk/mirrors/...alloween1.html

Originally posted by dufoli View Post
    Apple is even worse, they have quite nothing open source and they just use POSIX Kernel to take all needed from open source without contribute to linux. They make a very closed market. They use DRM and try to force client to only use their shop (ithunes) for all...
    While I agree that Apple is very closed and its devices are also equally closed (which sucks) they do contribute to some open source projects: http://www.apple.com/opensource/ Whether they are good contributions or not I don't know. One of the most notable projects that Apple contributes to is CUPS.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      Not funny

And

Gnome has had mono bindings (and entire apps written in mono languages) for years, so in the case you weren't being sarcastic, get over it... it's been around for several years now.

We should make sure that any work we collaborate with Microsoft on is licensed under a copyleft license (such as GPLv2, or ideally GPLv3) so that they can't take advantage of us. If we can accomplish that much, I'd say that dealing with them is perfectly OK. Let them spend money on the gnome community and they won't be able to "embrace and extend" our software without sharing their source changes, which would just let us make a non-MSFT distribution containing all their improvements but without the bits we don't want.
      I take it you didn't click the link...

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        We should make sure that any work we collaborate with Microsoft on is licensed under a copyleft license (such as GPLv2, or ideally GPLv3) so that they can't take advantage of us. If we can accomplish that much, I'd say that dealing with them is perfectly OK. Let them spend money on the gnome community and they won't be able to "embrace and extend" our software without sharing their source changes, which would just let us make a non-MSFT distribution containing all their improvements but without the bits we don't want.
        That would only help if Microsoft themselves distributed or better yet developed the code in question. They don't - they just provide financial incentives to their collaborators to develop it - so none of the patent licensing clauses of the GPLv3 provide any protection. There's also some nasty patent traps for third-party developers - for instance, one MS patent I've come across covers using .Net delegates and events according to Microsoft's coding guidelines. Gtk# infringes that patent, the only way to work around the infringement would be to change its API and rewrite any code that used it, and since the patent infringement is in third-party code that's not part of the .Net standard none of Microsoft's patent promises cover it. I assume there are many other similar patent traps lying in wait for unwary Linux developers that use .Net.

If the day of Linux on the Deskop ever arrives, Mono will be a legal trojan horse that gives Microsoft a whole bunch more ways to sue Linux distributors just like they're targetting Android now.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          I think Microsoft itself disagrees with you: http://www.opensource.ac.uk/mirrors/...alloween1.html

While I agree that Apple is very closed and its devices are also equally closed (which sucks) they do contribute to some open source projects: http://www.apple.com/opensource/ Whether they are good contributions or not I don't know. One of the most notable projects that Apple contributes to is CUPS.
          You point me to a document which date of 1998!
          Microsoft have change the strategy since this date. They have understood that they have nothing to fight open source but better to use/cooperate with it...
          on french site:

in english:
          Read the latest insights and news about Microsoft's Open Source practices, standards, and interoperability from Microsoft's team of experts.

Comment

Originally posted by makomk View Post
            That would only help if Microsoft themselves distributed or better yet developed the code in question. They don't - they just provide financial incentives to their collaborators to develop it - so none of the patent licensing clauses of the GPLv3 provide any protection. There's also some nasty patent traps for third-party developers - for instance, one MS patent I've come across covers using .Net delegates and events according to Microsoft's coding guidelines. Gtk# infringes that patent, the only way to work around the infringement would be to change its API and rewrite any code that used it, and since the patent infringement is in third-party code that's not part of the .Net standard none of Microsoft's patent promises cover it. I assume there are many other similar patent traps lying in wait for unwary Linux developers that use .Net.

If the day of Linux on the Deskop ever arrives, Mono will be a legal trojan horse that gives Microsoft a whole bunch more ways to sue Linux distributors just like they're targetting Android now.
            what?? A patent for delegate and event? delegate is basicly a function pointer and event is already in many language before dotnet. So I do not think it exist... Can you point me to it?

I think you are talking about C# and not dotnet... anyway the C# is patent-free because it is a standard (http://www.ecma-international.org/pu...s/Ecma-334.htm)

Comment

why is it that many people who hate microsoft seem to live in 1995?
              Dude apple is like the nice guy and doesnt partake in anti competitive practices with patents(Samsung case) and is really tiny(Not a 560 billion dollar company). I mean microsoft is huge compared to apple (Microsoft 250 billion dollar company) and is evil. M$! See what I did there I put a dollar sign there. It means they are greedy and I am smart.

Comment

I don't even know where to begin with replying to this thread. A mix of bullshit, reheated stuff from the 90's, bullshit, reheated stuff from the early 00's, bullshit, bullshit, bad jokes a preteen would be embarrassed by, bullshit, verbatim quotes from Boycott Novell, and bullshit.

And none of it has anything to do with the hackfest which was originally being referred to.

As per usual, I'm forced to quote Thomas Jefferson, and suggest that a lot of people replying to this are a bit thick:

Originally posted by Thomas Jefferson
                Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them

Comment

Originally posted by timetopat View Post
                  why is it that many people who hate microsoft seem to live in 1995?
                  Dude apple is like the nice guy and doesnt partake in anti competitive practices with patents(Samsung case) and is really tiny(Not a 560 billion dollar company). I mean microsoft is huge compared to apple (Microsoft 250 billion dollar company) and is evil. M$! See what I did there I put a dollar sign there. It means they are greedy and I am smart.
                  Troll harder.

Comment

Having something opensource doesn't mean it's not covered by patents unless the opensource license itself deals with patent issues.
                    Truth is, even if C# it's an ecma standard and we have the community promise, there are still a lot of grays?

Do I care? no, FUCK GNOME, I honestly dislike the software and mentality of the devs behind it

Cheers.

Comment

I love Microsoft. The more Microsoft there is in Linux, the better.

I want to thank Gnome for putting some Microsoft awesomeness in Linux. You guys ROCK! Everybody should use Gnome, because the more people use it, the more Microsoft will be part of Linux. There are good times ahead for all Linux users!

Comment

Working...
                      X