GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
    Why do Microsoft "control" Mono? Because they're one of the more than a dozen companies responsible for the .NET specification?
    MS does what it wants anyway, and you have to ask MS not to sue you on patent claims if you implement your own .NET runtime. And you have to believe their promises.

Only an idiot would believe something MS says. They've already stated their commitment in eradicating Linux from the face of the planet.

Who are free to use whatever technology they like. And, generally, are mature enough not to shit the bed if technology they don't like is found to exist (i.e. Mono hasn't been "pushed like no tomorrow" to you)
    By putting it in Gnome, yes, you are pushing that crap to me. And by "me" I don't mean me personally, but the Linux user with enough brain cells to realize that a love relationship with MS is a no-no. People like you dismiss history all to easily.

And there's also people who have no idea about all this. You're essentially trojan-horsing them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      With good reason. It's a MS tech. You people don't give a damn with whom you make love, it seems.

You're a disappointment to the whole Linux ecosystem.
      Get over yourself. c# is a ECMA standard as is many parts of .NET. mono is not a tool of the devil, and using it doesn't make you a microsoft shill, people need to stop spreading this FUD. You are the disappointment, you are the very embodiment of the annoying trolls we need to see less of. This guy sure does a whole lot more work for the OSS communtiy than you do sitting in your basement insulting people.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        MS does what it wants anyway, and you have to ask MS not to sue you on patent claims if you implement your own .NET runtime. And you have to believe their promises.
        The same applies for, say, implementing ODF. You need to hope that Oracle will stick to their binding irrevocable patent grant, the same way you do with Microsoft and various things they claim to possible have patents on (.NET, SMTP, IPv6, that kind of stuff).

You're not using Microsoft-patented SMTP, I hope?

Only an idiot would believe something MS says. They've already stated their commitment in eradicating Linux from the face of the planet.
        Yes, this is a winning business strategy in 2012. And about as likely as horse breeders vowing to end the motor car.

By putting it in Gnome, yes, you are pushing that crap to me. And by "me" I don't mean me personally, but the Linux user with enough brain cells to realize that a love relationship with MS is a no-no. People like you dismiss history all to easily.
        I dismiss pant-shitting over politics. I restrict myself to evidence and technology. Sorry if that upsets you.

And there's also people who have no idea about all this. You're essentially trojan-horsing them.
        Yes, I'm sure they'll have their doors kicked in from Microsoft goons demanding "YOU'RE USING A NOTE TAKING APP, NOW WE KICK YOU IN THE STOMACH"

Remind me, which language frameworks have had big lawsuits attached?

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          Get over yourself. c# is a ECMA standard as is many parts of .NET. mono is not a tool of the devil, and using it doesn't make you a microsoft shill, people need to stop spreading this FUD. You are the disappointment, you are the very embodiment of the annoying trolls we need to see less of. This guy sure does a whole lot more work for the OSS communtiy than you do sitting in your basement insulting people.
          It's all about purity to these trolls. He reads, say, Bulldog's account on page 11, and says "you're not pure enough, I don't want you using my nice pure Free Software platform".

That's why the slightest association with Microsoft is so toxic. Because they have no interest in Free Software, and every interest in ideological purity - and Microsoft are the antagonist in the battle in their heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            It's funny that you perceive criticism against Microsoft as a personal insult. I'm sure this says something about you, but I'm not sure what. Also, claiming that someone's status is an excuse for hijacking the Linux community, is infuriating, to say the least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Linus Torvalds
              I'm a big believer in "technology over politics". I don't care who it comes from, as long as there are solid reasons for the code, and as long as we don't have to worry about licensing etc issues.

I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out.

There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
              Dum de dum...

Comment

It's all about purity to these trolls. He reads, say, Bulldog's account on page 11, and says "you're not pure enough, I don't want you using my nice pure Free Software platform".
                It seems you're a MS employe and your comments make mono to look even worse. I'm happy nearly nobody from Linux camp is not interested in MS crap. It has nothing to 'purity', but it's about being sane and smart. MS has to die or kill Windows and any other monopolystic crap. Dot.

That's why the slightest association with Microsoft is so toxic. Because they have no interest in Free Software, and every interest in ideological purity - and Microsoft are the antagonist in the battle in their heads.

They have the biggest interest in killing Linux, because it's their most dangerous competitor. It wiped them out in every market except desktops, yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Huh? Of course they can - they just need to submit some code that covers a patent. That's exactly the same fear people have of mono - that the code uses a patent.

They've already sued companies for using linux because of their FAT patent. I can assure you that the FAT filesystem is written in C code, not C#.
                  I know, but I meant something else. Their patented C code can be wiped out in every moment, but we can't do the same with applications that are written in C#, because we'll wipe applications out as well.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 12 July 2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Ten years down, and a thousand bleating sheep, yet still nobody has pointed to a single Microsoft patent violated by Mono.

Meanwhile, those same bleating sheep continue to use Microsoft tech like AJAX, or standards which Microsoft claim to have some patents in, from DNS to HTTP to ping.

The patents line is a bullshit ruse from people who aren't honest enough to say "it doesn't matter what the legalities or licenses are, I consider this one thing out of many to be incurably tainted by my evil arch-nemisis Microsoft and therefore the ends of 'make nobody use it' is justified by the means of 'lie all the time'"
                    You're simply mistaken. There were reasons Icaza didn't want to answer simple questions when comes to patents and he also didn't want to put patented stuff out from the mono.

Comment

The same applies for, say, implementing ODF. You need to hope that Oracle will stick to their binding irrevocable patent grant, the same way you do with Microsoft and various things they claim to possible have patents on (.NET, SMTP, IPv6, that kind of stuff).

You're not using Microsoft-patented SMTP, I hope?
                      We don't need any more if we can avoid it. .NET is easily avoided.

Yes, this is a winning business strategy in 2012. And about as likely as horse breeders vowing to end the motor car. I dismiss pant-shitting over politics. I restrict myself to evidence and technology. Sorry if that upsets you.
                      You're being dismissive instead of dealing with the reality. MS hates Linux. If you had even a slight hint of integrity left in you, you wouldn't do "festivals of love" for MS. Instead, you would tell them "take .NET and shove it up your ass, bitch."

Yes, I'm sure they'll have their doors kicked in from Microsoft goons demanding "YOU'RE USING A NOTE TAKING APP, NOW WE KICK YOU IN THE STOMACH"
                      No one claimed that. And again, you're being dismissive and come up with gross exaggerations.

Remind me, which language frameworks have had big lawsuits attached?
                      This is about .NET, not Java. The point isn't why not to use Java, but why not to use .NET. You're being quite evasive when it comes to .NET, aren't you?

Comment

Working...
                      X