Kinect With Qt Makes Cursor Out Of Your Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    you can do this with a standard webcam. the "click" feature would be a lot more difficult to accomplish but you can at the very least effortlessly control a mouse pointer using any webcam or really any object you want; i've seen it done with a ~400 line python script
    If this is true, then where's the distro with builtin support, loudly drumming that? "We have Minority Report UI!!11"

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      If this is true, then where's the distro with builtin support, loudly drumming that? "We have Minority Report UI!!11"
      ...distro? who says you need an entire distro for something like this? that's like saying in order to play a DVD you must buy the DVD player, TV, speaker system, and couch all in 1 purchase. This is an optional feature that any OS could handle. I didn't look into this Qt based program but considering that it is Qt, it wouldn't surprise me if even Windows or Mac could run this with the proper drivers.

This sort of thing is pretty gimicky anyway, much like touchscreens. It has SOME practical purposes (like touchscreens) but overall it's an inefficient, high latency, processor demanding feature that limits your computing experience. I admit it is pretty nifty, but this isn't something to "drum" about.

Comment

If it worked well enough to show off, I'd expect someone to have made a demo livecd, just like the early compiz ones.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          If it worked well enough to show off, I'd expect someone to have made a demo livecd, just like the early compiz ones.
          No, its just a simple program that controls the mouse pointer by using openCV to identify a moving object in a webcam display. There's no reason to have an entire demo OS of it - all you need is to install python, opencv libraries for python, and v4l. since most linux setups include python and v4l, all you need is opencv, which is a small install.

Aside from this 1 script I'm referring to, the situation shouldn't change for something like this kinect Qt thing. I didn't look into this but I doubt you need an entire live CD for it you just need a few libraries. Compiz needed a demo CD because it replaced window managers and altered your DE, this is just an extension.

Comment

all you need is to install python, opencv libraries for python, and v4l. since most linux setups include python and v4l, all you need is opencv, which is a small install.
            No.

Dependencies
            OpenCV - computer vision library
            OpenNI - natural interaction library
            PrimeSense NITE - gesture and skeleton tracking for OpenNI, free for commercial usage but requires an EULA
            PrimeSense Kinect Sensor - Kinect drivers for OpenNI
            That OpenNI/NITE stuff needs java...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              No.
              uh... yes. Are you the one who used the script I'm talking about? Because I doubt it - it wasn't very popular and it isn't included in any repos.

Comment

uh... yes. Are you the one who used the script I'm talking about? Because I doubt it - it wasn't very popular and it isn't included in any repos.
                Ah, my short term memory was not long enaugh and I thought the discussion was again about the Qt_AirCursor.

The aircursor.cpp isn't that much either with ~650 lines and I would guess is probably doing a little bit more than you script did.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Ah, my short term memory was not long enaugh and I thought the discussion was again about the Qt_AirCursor.

The aircursor.cpp isn't that much either with ~650 lines and I would guess is probably doing a little bit more than you script did.
                  hah ok fair enough. I'm sure this script does do a lot more. 650 lines in C++ would actually be considered smaller than the python script, considering python is a bit cleaner and shorter.

Comment

Doing this with a webcam is not robust enough for general use. That's why they do it with Time of Flight or Kinect cameras. The idea is not new either, look at this video for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBorbRaFrn8

What is new is only the availability of the affordable kinect sensor.

The LEAP guys play in a different league. They have different hardware and claim superb accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                    X