Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    I did not use dolphin that much personally, i am used to mc as i used that much longer than kde itself. But certainly lots of Kanotix users liked it. Some dolphin users mentioned performance problems which should be fixed in new kde releases. But certainly a filemanager is not everything that could be done with a desktop environment. The plasma desktop is still a bit complicated for users which liked kde 3.5 very much - well we locked it down because some really easyly broke it. This is certainly not the optimal choice but you have to admit it is not that hard to remove panels in kde4 which you really need. Compared to that it is harder do do that with win and osx as well. When you are used to a certain workflow then a Linux DE might not be optimal. Some professional apps are only available for win and when you miss those well this is bad then. There is no replacement tool for everything. For osx lots of professional graphic and video tools are available as well. I dont think that KDE4 is so bad that it could not be used but of course it could be improved. unity/gnome3 are not the holly grail as well. I hope that he will tell us what his productivity problems have been, maybe they couldbe fixed in the future.

Leave a comment:

• hungerfish
    replied
    macosx,win,linuxOnTheDesktop

So, all though I don't normally care for these flame-wars...
    I've used win7 , osx, and linux + cli, gnome,kde4,xfce,lxde,el,razor-qt,awesome,windowmaker etc. pp. and to be honest, they all suck at least at something.
    Its the truth! There is no such thing as the 'perfect' desktop!
    For me, I really liked gnome2, and I think if it had been polished enough and something like avant-window-navigator(the dock, osx strongpoint) thrown in, it could have been something really grand, but sadly history took a wrong turn, and now were in this mess, were NO DE meats it.
    Win7 and OSX aren't free, but not only that, they also are flawed, for me most importantly because I cannot change how they work.(.DS_Store anyone?, or Libraries??? + more substantial issues which however wouldn't fit inside these brackets)
    Generally with DE's were really lucky, and our 'problems' are mostly down to nitpicking, anyone who doubts this, should just use cli - cause that gets the job done, just not with much style

I don't know why this KDE dev. decided to quit (for me, ever since gnome3, kde has been the goto guy, despite its problems), but I will never 'quit' using free software, as much as I can, I will never degrade myself by becoming a 'fanboy' of any freedom-robbing company, so STFU and get hacking!!!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    none of them are worth a damn when it comes to getting work done in the way that Mac OS is
    What's with all those people who switch to Mac OS becoming douchebags?

Nothing against your opinion to be more productive with Mac OS. No really, you personally very well be.
    But what's with this over the top praise I read from all these people? What's with the sudden disregard of the software freedom issue alltogether?
    And why can I summarize your post with "the open source desktops are a mess and Mac OS is better" without losing much information?

You can write all day about your opinions about the advantages of Mac OS but I would certainly like to read more of substantiations of that opinions. Because on themselves they get quite boring quickly.

Leave a comment:

• m_gol
    replied
    That is real UNIX.

You might be shocked to find that many developer prefer OS/X even if they have to push their work to Linux servers. OS/X is by far one of the best platforms out there for developers, especially these days when it is a snap to have multiple VMs running to test your work.
    I am not shocked at all. I'm myself going to switch to OS X in a few months after using Ubuntu for 5 years as my main OS. I also know very well about the VM advantage being a web developer myself.

It has actually gotten to the point that you see more computer literate people on Macs then you do Windows machines. While there certainly is a good number that don't look under the GUI that is by no means everybody.
    I haven't said anything about computer literate people, I only said if you see a newbie, they probably use Windows or OS X. Those two aren't mutually exclusive, you know. An implication goes to one direction only.

That being said Linux still has a place in my house. I just see it as a crime to try to sell it as a effective replacement for the likes of Mac OS.
    You mean for the desktop? OS X is no match to Linux on the server side.
    Last edited by m_gol; 27 June 2012, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    You do realize that Mac OS/X is UNIX underneath right?

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
    FTFY. (oh, this character limit...)
    That is real UNIX.

You might be shocked to find that many developer prefer OS/X even if they have to push their work to Linux servers. OS/X is by far one of the best platforms out there for developers, especially these days when it is a snap to have multiple VMs running to test your work.

It has actually gotten to the point that you see more computer literate people on Macs then you do Windows machines. While there certainly is a good number that don't look under the GUI that is by no means everybody.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    I dropped Linux as my desktop productivity environment back in 2008!

Best move I've every made was buying a MBP in 2008 and giving up on Linux as my desktop productivity space. Penz is apparently right and reflects my feelings I had back in 2008.

The only difference is I never got involved in the QT/KDE madness even when Linux was my desktop environment. Even in those earlier days it was obvious that QT/KDE was a mess, I'll conceived and not going anywhere. Four years later it looks like things haven't improved one bit for KDE.

Consider this; prior to going Mac as my primary desktop environment I spent years with the various Linux efforts and the various Windows managers often with my machine setup to allow logging into dramatically different Wimdow managers. KDE was always a whore as far as resources and usability goes grossly outclassed by other Windows managers and desktop environments when it came to reliability and ease of use. However none of them are worth a damn when it comes to getting work done in the way that Mac OS is. Even the Mac has buggy apps but at least Apple gets the core features to work right. Further the integration is there with iOS devices which is key to productivity today.

That being said Linux still has a place in my house. I just see it as a crime to try to sell it as a effective replacement for the likes of Mac OS.

Leave a comment:

• m_gol
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    I didn't say KDE was my project you fucking dumbass, I said that if people contributed to projects we would be much better off than those who don't contribute anything and just use what we create "see nvidia".

Also, I didn't said that KDE was my own project, that's ridiculous, I said that I'm a proud user for my own contributions, I have contributed to projects as well, fixed tons of bugs in many different open source software, and you are probably benefiting right now from my own contributions, so if you don't like what I say GTFO.
    Do you have some personal problems or what? Go for a walk, take a deep breath and think twice next time before posting sth with such unacceptable language. I really hope you don't represent an average KDE contributor, it would be sad for this project.

Leave a comment:

• m_gol
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Indeed. "Computer illiterate" implies a Windows or OS X user, not a Linux user.
    FTFY. (oh, this character limit...)

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    That's probably selection bias as the linux people often know a little bit more about how stuff works so they can fix more themeselves...
    Indeed. "Computer illiterate" implies a Windows user, not a Linux user.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
    I fix the computers for my rather computer illiterate friends and most of the times it are the Windows systems that are broken, not the Linux ones.
    That's probably selection bias as the linux people often know a little bit more about how stuff works so they can fix more themeselves...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X