No announcement yet.

KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems the modern desktops have been about adding more eye candy and fancy junk instead of improving productivity. Productivity meaning the desktop should basically get you what you need and *go away* when real applications are running. And the desktop paradigm has been hammered to death for 20+ years, there's not much more that really can be done with it that isn't generally side stepping and change for the sake of change. Btw I use windowmaker on my desktop dev machines and xfce on others. I tried kde for a short time last year and wasn't impressed, took that to xfce as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      It seems the modern desktops have been about adding more eye candy and fancy junk instead of improving productivity. Productivity meaning the desktop should basically get you what you need and *go away* when real applications are running. And the desktop paradigm has been hammered to death for 20+ years, there's not much more that really can be done with it that isn't generally side stepping and change for the sake of change. Btw I use windowmaker on my desktop dev machines and xfce on others. I tried kde for a short time last year and wasn't impressed, took that to xfce as well.
      You took the words out of my mouth. KDE and Gnome (3) are junk. The design for Gnome 3 and Unity, for e.g., it's totally obvious that they only care about eye candy and designing these atrocities for mobile devices. I haven't heard of them making any ground so the desktop user gets to experience the garbage result.

As for KDE, it's another beast. Full of WTHs and constant freezes. Also, k-this, k-that but really they don't seem to care about functionality. It's just as long as it's pretty and people know they are using kde-junk.

Comment

• I'm trying my best where I have something to say.
        Last edited by Dan555a; 13 October 2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X