KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asdx
    I didn't say KDE was my project you fucking dumbass, I said that if people contributed to projects we would be much better off right now than those who don't contribute anything and just use what we work so hard on "see nvidia" (aka the leech).
    firstly, you DID claim some sort of ownership, your said 'our software' - which implies ownership. Secondly i never claimed that you said KDE was YOUR project. So you presuppose that i said something that i didn't and your calling me a dumbass? that is pretty funny, you fucking duchebag chump.

Thirdly, How exactly is Nvidia leeching from OSS, exactly? (they aren't!). One could easily say that Nouveau is leeching off of Nvidia's blob, though. - ie: it wouldn't even exist without Nvidia's blob. Nvidia also has and does contribute to some oss projects, X.org is an example of one of them. They also have been pretty good about making their development tools available, free of charge. Nvidia can't even leech anything. being as the GPL blocks them from being able to do so. 'export GPL' also doesn't allow them to use/leech onto existing kernel interfaces.

so explain to me how they are 'leeching', exactly - or is your use of he word 'leeching' just incorrect, here?

Originally posted by asdx
    Also, I didn't said that KDE was my own project, that's ridiculous, I said that I'm a proud user for my own contributions, I have contributed to projects than most people here, I fixed tons of bugs in many different open source software, and you are probably benefiting right now from my own contributions, so if you don't like what I say GTFO.
    Stop repeating yourself, you just wrote the same thing above (KDE related).

I doubt you've contributed more than some other users in this forum, we see some very well-known developers around here (ie: people who work for Redhat, AMD or heavy contributors to X.org, etc). How many millions of people are using applications that you are the original author of, exactly??? Furthermore, you're not the only one around here whom has contributed to OSS projects, so if were expecting me to marvel at your bug fixes - to be honest i don't really give a fuck. I doubt you are a heavy contributor to any of the projects/software that i use daily, and are actually important to me.

Do yourself a favor and just shut the fuck up, seriously. - or maybe you should go back to one of the nvidia threads and tell us for the umpteenth time "fuck you, nvidia" ~ as if Adsx' position even matters or has any bearing on anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizard69
      none of them are worth a damn when it comes to getting work done in the way that Mac OS is
      No kidding. Traditional desktops like KDE and Windows just kills this and most people agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        frankly I have a lot of problems with GPL 3 as do some of the kernel developers, with much of open source moving to this anti freedom license it seems to be out of place to whine about software freedom.
        GPL 3 is not a problem, but some freedom hostile environments like the shitty Apple one.

Beyond that are you even remotely aware of what Mac OS/X is and Apples contribution to open source development?
        This is meaningless and it's just PR bullshit and not contribution that helps Open Source to compete with Apple. I heard Linus feeds polar bears and that's a true contribution to the entire world of nature!

Comment

• Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          However none of them are worth a damn when it comes to getting work done in the way that Mac OS is. Even the Mac has buggy apps but at least Apple gets the core features to work right.
          That being said Linux still has a place in my house. I just see it as a crime to try to sell it as a effective replacement for the likes of Mac OS.
          Well, the core Mac OS file manager (Finder) is pretty much terrible. I can get work done, when it comes to managing files, much quicker in any Linux file manager available today. Also, getting work done usually involves opening programs and using them, so how is Mac OS so much better? I use both on a daily basis and I don't see much difference at all when it comes to "getting work done" (apart from managing files like I said earlier).

Comment

• I dont wanna talk about apple or microsoft, because its not free, if I would not care about that, I would use maybe apple maybe not...

I wanna talk about the linux-DE?s, so he thinks that gnome isnt good enough too to get support from companies. but thats even now not true, they get some peaces even from canonical but mainly from redhat, redhat is a relative big company so that denys his speech...
            But there is one point I agree to, it would be better to have one MAIN desktop environment, I dont talk about that there should not be others, but the standard os for each Major-Linux should be the same... all standards if you want as example desktop items like icons like even the frameworks should be focused on that... so if you want to make another de, you should use this standards or make warppers or something... if that would be gnome(shell) kde should make shure that each gtk/gnome app looks good on their plattform... so then all companies would now, if you wanna support linux, you write your app to make it work in gnome...

and one point made the situation with gnome vs kde even worse that ubuntu crap that no other distribution uses unity. I dont get it, its so easy to customise gnome-shell, they could implement 99% of all the shit as extentions and in javascript files and in css. so to fork this was such a terrible idea... before kde 3 was coming gnome was the clear winner... but kde was not totally dead, or not dead enough ^^ to become the clear looser... so but now ubuntu made that stupid move...

and that from a distribution that was not able to make something that will stand a change against systemd...
            Last edited by blackiwid; 28 June 2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              I dont wanna talk about apple or microsoft, because its not free, if I would not care about that, I would use maybe apple maybe not...

I wanna talk about the linux-DE?s, so he thinks that gnome isnt good enough too to get support from companies. but thats even now not true, they get some peaces even from canonical but mainly from redhat, redhat is a relative big company so that denys his speech...
              But there is one point I agree to, it would be better to have one MAIN desktop environment, I dont talk about that there should not be others, but the standard os for each Major-Linux should be the same... all standards if you want as example desktop items like icons like even the frameworks should be focused on that... so if you want to make another de, you should use this standards or make warppers or something... if that would be gnome(shell) kde should make shure that each gtk/gnome app looks good on their plattform... so then all companies would now, if you wanna support linux, you write your app to make it work in gnome...

and one point made the situation with gnome vs kde even worse that ubuntu crap that no other distribution uses unity. I dont get it, its so easy to customise gnome-shell, they could implement 99% of all the shit as extentions and in javascript files and in css. so to fork this was such a terrible idea... before kde 3 was coming gnome was the clear winner... but kde was not totally dead, or not dead enough ^^ to become the clear looser... so but now ubuntu made that stupid move...
              The only two decent Desktops Environments for linux are actually KDE and Unity. Trying to customize the gnome shell crap is worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                The only two decent Desktops Environments for linux are actually KDE and Unity. Trying to customize the gnome shell crap is worthless.
                rofl yes such useless that you become from a sub-distribution like linux mint to become the more liked distribution because you do customize this crap ^^ and unity is so good that it falls from the most wanted distribution to a still most users did not switch away distribution...

Comment

rofl yes such useless that you become from a sub-distribution like linux mint to become the more liked distribution because you do customize this crap ^^ and unity is so good that it falls from the most wanted distribution to a still most users did not switch away distribution...
                  First at all: you talk like a 12yo kid. I guess that's because you are 12yo kid.
                  Second: Who says that linux mint is the most wanted distribution? distrowatch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    First at all: you talk like a 12yo kid. I guess that's because you are 12yo kid.
                    Second: Who says that linux mint is the most wanted distribution? distrowatch?
                    english is not my first language and I live in europe so its not midle of the day like in amerika at least maybe there where you are? so yes my english is maybe not the best, or for shure its not the best ^^ but at least good enough that you understand me... so I am very effektive with my small range of english words I know ^^.

But yes Distrowatch... and yes I know that there are not more mint users right now that ubuntu users, but there are switching people to mint that can you see there... and I never saw any possitive reactions to unity only the hud seems to be good, but that is nothing that could not be done in gnome-shell... so most of the time you have the be happy if somebody is neutral about unity... and even if you look in the webstore of unity only gets 3 from 5 stars and gnome-shell has 4 from 5 stars... and there are nearly 50% of the comments like it was for unity so I guess it seems to be 50% of the people that installs ubuntu switch away from unity and thats hard because ubuntu-standard is the only unity distribution...

Comment

I dont wanna talk about apple or microsoft, because its not free, if I would not care about that, I would use maybe apple maybe not...

and that from a distribution that was not able to make something that will stand a change against systemd...
                      There is no need to eliminate one or the other... KDE, Gnome, Unity, etc, all of them can coexist well if they agree and share basic standards...
                      Linux needs basic changes, like a common file dialog or a common system settings application...

KDE, Gnome and the other DE's should have frontends to common backends...
                      For example, we have gvfs and kio... Gvfs feels more transparent, and could be used on both sides in order to share work...

If they shared some important parts, there would be less bugs, and we would have a better experience...
                      There would not be reason to fight, because in a pair of years things will be rewritten and/or improved to suit everyone's needs...

Comment

Working...
                      X