X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markg85
    replied
    Originally posted by Saist View Post

Download Mumble for free. Low-latency, high quality voice chat for gamers. Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. It includes game linking, so voice from other players comes from the direction of their characters, and has echo cancellation so the sound from your loudspeakers won't be audible to other players.

This would be why there's no significant work on a replacement for Skype or reverse engineering Skype.

Replacements already exist.

There is no REASON to work on yet another replacement or to reverse engineer Skype. Better software is already available. Right now. Much of it already under Open Source Licenses.
    Better..?
    How are they better? Don't get me wrong, i'm a very big open source fan, but there actually is nothing in linux land that comes close to skype in terms of easy to use and call quality. All oss alternatives are tedious to setup and sometimes even hard to get working at all (with the microphone). I know because i actually tried a lot of them! The oss alternatives still have a lot to learn from skype.

For the record, i'm not using skype anymore since microsoft bought it.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    But still, do we have any indication that this is also hitting the linux client, or infact not also affecting the old client?

Leave a comment:

• Temar
    replied
    Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
    Why don't you try it first before you jump to the default conclusion that MS is screwing everyone over.
    Because just yesterday they screwed the Windows users with even more ads: http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/06/sk...ng_update.html

Instead of being honest and admitting that they just want to make money to be able to run the service, they try to define this as part of the Skype experience:

So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about.
    That's ridiculous!

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    "So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about. Ultimately, we believe this will help make Skype a more engaging and useful place to have your conversations each and every day." ... yeah, right.
    yeah loud ads in my face as well as the person I'm talking to, real smart. You need to buy Skype credits if you don't want ads. Nope I'll stick with the old client till it no longer works.

Leave a comment:

• vertex2
    replied
    Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    my thoughts exactly. remember when skype promised to open source parts of their linux client? since M$ acquired skype we are so screwed.
    Relax, both of you. This is a full native version and nowhere was it suggested that this version has advertisements. Why don't you try it first before you jump to the default conclusion that MS is screwing everyone over.

Leave a comment:

• Setlec
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick with the old version.

I prefer an ad-free native binary over a half-assed emulated one, which is probably full of ads. Somehow I already expected MS only being able to write Windows software.
    my thoughts exactly. remember when skype promised to open source parts of their linux client? since M$ acquired skype we are so screwed.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    I use wine (crossover to be specific) every day at work to run MS Office 2003. If I could, I would immediately switch to LibreOffice, but LibreOffice is still not able to handle MS Office documents properly. Most macros do not work and even the layout of normal day to day documents is messed up. LibreOffice still has a long way to go until it can be used as an MS Office replacement in daily business work.
    MS office also still has a long way to go befor it can be used to open ODT-files. I would say it depends on the enviroment you are in.

I'm pretty sure MS uses VBA script for macros where as LO uses Python so they are very much incompatible. VBA has been removed from the Mac version of MS Office by the way, so i guess macros wount even work on all version of MS Office.

Leave a comment:

• Saist
    replied

Download Mumble for free. Low-latency, high quality voice chat for gamers. Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. It includes game linking, so voice from other players comes from the direction of their characters, and has echo cancellation so the sound from your loudspeakers won't be audible to other players.

This would be why there's no significant work on a replacement for Skype or reverse engineering Skype.

Replacements already exist.

There is no REASON to work on yet another replacement or to reverse engineer Skype. Better software is already available. Right now. Much of it already under Open Source Licenses.

Leave a comment:

• glasen
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside
    Skype for Linux is and was always a native Linux-application.

Leave a comment:

• Temar
    replied
    Originally posted by who_me View Post
    They are not using wine. They are using a 32bit executable that uses the i386 compat libs.
    Ok thanks, good to know. Does the new version have ads?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X