Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Phoronix: Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Skype 4.0 has been officially released for Linux today after being under "development" for far too long. This first major update in years for the Skype Linux client is coming one year after Microsoft acquired Skype...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

64 bit

Strange, for fedora there is only a 32 bit package while there is a 32 and 64 bit package for Debian & Ubuntu...

Comment

the 64bit packages are 32bit binarys with multilib dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
        Strange, for fedora there is only a 32 bit package while there is a 32 and 64 bit package for Debian & Ubuntu...
        well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside

Comment

one has to wonder if it has anything to do with this:

Stay up to date on Skype news. The latest features and video call technology keeping you connected with the people that matter most. 

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post

Stay up to date on Skype news. The latest features and video call technology keeping you connected with the people that matter most. 

"So, you should think of Conversation Ads as a way for Skype to generate fun interactivity between your circle of friends and family and the brands you care about. Ultimately, we believe this will help make Skype a more engaging and useful place to have your conversations each and every day." ... yeah, right.

Comment

And don't forget the new feature : "Lawful interception" backdoor

I hope the linux version will still avoid all the ads and the shitty UI they have on Windows...
              Multiples skype instances is also a cool linux exclusive feature.
              Last edited by karasu; 14 June 2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside
                Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick with the old version.

I prefer an ad-free native binary over a half-assed emulated one, which is probably full of ads. Somehow I already expected MS only being able to write Windows software.

Comment

I have started drifting away from using Skype. I often get a better result with Google chat, plus it so much lighter to run on my phone then Skype, witch was always a hazel.

If this is just a Windows app compiled with Wine then I am sourly disappointed that it's version 4.0 and not 5.9.0.123 like the Windows version. 4.0 on Windows is 3-4 years old (depending on the point release).

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post

That sucks

Comment

Lol, I actually can't believe they did a new release. Ok so, now we learned the lesson. They do a relase once a year (and a half).

Comment

Working...
                    X