X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dotancohen
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    I use wine (crossover to be specific) every day at work to run MS Office 2003. If I could, I would immediately switch to LibreOffice, but LibreOffice is still not able to handle MS Office documents properly. Most macros do not work and even the layout of normal day to day documents is messed up. LibreOffice still has a long way to go until it can be used as an MS Office replacement in daily business work.
    Please remove sensitive information and send to me those documents so that I can help bring LO and AOO up to date. If we don't have real-world test documents, then nothing can be fixed.

Also include a PDF or PNG of the properly-rendered document to show what it should look like! You can send them to <myPhoronixUsername>@gmail.com. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• lithorus
    replied
    For anyone using Ubuntu 12.04, it seems it's better to install the 32-bit version instead of the "64-bit" version.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Saist View Post
    There is no REASON to work on yet another replacement or to reverse engineer Skype. Better software is already available. Right now. Much of it already under Open Source Licenses.
    Those programs might be better, but the catch is this - Skype is what people are using. It doesn't matter how good those open programs are, if you can't use them to talk to the people you want to talk to. Interoperability is *important*.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    Better..?
    How are they better? Don't get me wrong, i'm a very big open source fan, but there actually is nothing in linux land that comes close to skype in terms of easy to use and call quality. All oss alternatives are tedious to setup and sometimes even hard to get working at all (with the microphone). I know because i actually tried a lot of them! The oss alternatives still have a lot to learn from skype.
    Not OSS, but my friends and I have started using Google Hangouts for voice chat lately. We find the experience better, particularly if connections are poor - it tends to downgrade sound quality rather than just cutting out like Skype does, so you can still hear what people say even if they sound a bit tinny...

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by glasen View Post
    Skype for Linux is and was always a native Linux-application.
    Which is why there's some griping on the blog about language support. Seems the Windows and Linux versions are different enough that they don't benefit much from common string translations...

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
    That's fairly ridiculous indeed! And commercial companies do have a tendency to ruin things in order to make more money. The funny thing is that at the moment it seems like the Linux version doesn't have these ads (and it also doesn't have the shitty interface the windows version now has), probably because MS wouldn't make a lot of money from ads on the Linux version anyway but it is still peculiar that in a way, MS is doing exactly the opposite of screwing over Linux users.
    Appease the (usually more technically inclined) Linux users so they don't go looking for replacements to replace Skype on the machines of the people they want to communicate with?

On another note, the notion of Microsoft using wine to run stuff on Linux is pretty amusing.

Leave a comment:

• lopho
    replied
    the new linux client does _not_ include the new advertisment system "yet".

sauce:

(in german)

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
    seriously, how can they write up such a thing? i mean, is the average user that artarded <yes>, well ok, maybe not all the people using computer technology are what one would consider computer literate and even capable of common sense, but that must be a small margin, MOST people must be somewhat competent <much less than you think> oh c,mon, there cant be that much of a market out there to make this even seem like a proffitable move <everyone else is already doing stupid intrusive ads, and the trend only grows, just look at the site your on now> ya, never really understood how that keeps going on, i mean, who actualy clicks on one of these crappy ads and proceads with an actual money transaction <old people> it cant be ALL the old peoples fault, i mean, what do they even do on the internet? <skype> what, so all the old people are online skypeing now <yep> so is that such a major userbase that this is probobly garenteed to make money? <its their only userbase, so yes> well, you just sound a little prejidous <you said it bro>
    Split personality?

Leave a comment:

• vertex2
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    Because just yesterday they screwed the Windows users with even more ads: http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/06/sk...ng_update.html

Instead of being honest and admitting that they just want to make money to be able to run the service, they try to define this as part of the Skype experience:

That's ridiculous!
    That's fairly ridiculous indeed! And commercial companies do have a tendency to ruin things in order to make more money. The funny thing is that at the moment it seems like the Linux version doesn't have these ads (and it also doesn't have the shitty interface the windows version now has), probably because MS wouldn't make a lot of money from ads on the Linux version anyway but it is still peculiar that in a way, MS is doing exactly the opposite of screwing over Linux users.

Leave a comment:

• benjamin545
    replied
    it is in such beautiful words how they describe the ever so exclusive experience of embedded ads that makes one wonder how any company could be so considerate of their most lowly of costomers, even us, the non patrons, of thier costomer base are treated to a feature that not even the most faithful paying costomers are delighted with. and if one is to be confused or posssibly upset with this new feature, dont worry your tiny little head, they have done you the favor of enlightening you with what you should feel like toward this addition. it is the conversation starter you have been asking for for ages. if only chat roulette would give you such an assistance.

seriously, how can they write up such a thing? i mean, is the average user that artarded <yes>, well ok, maybe not all the people using computer technology are what one would consider computer literate and even capable of common sense, but that must be a small margin, MOST people must be somewhat competent <much less than you think> oh c,mon, there cant be that much of a market out there to make this even seem like a proffitable move <everyone else is already doing stupid intrusive ads, and the trend only grows, just look at the site your on now> ya, never really understood how that keeps going on, i mean, who actualy clicks on one of these crappy ads and proceads with an actual money transaction <old people> it cant be ALL the old peoples fault, i mean, what do they even do on the internet? <skype> what, so all the old people are online skypeing now <yep> so is that such a major userbase that this is probobly garenteed to make money? <its their only userbase, so yes> well, you just sound a little prejidous <you said it bro>

eh, the cinic in me came out a bit.

it really sucks how with these large corperations, their pr and amrketing departments have no way at makeing a real personal communication with people. it just seems like whats the point of trying to make an answer to the public like this one if the answer is so obviously constructed in such a way that only an idiot would beleive this word for word. i mean NOBODY would read that and go "oh ya ok, i can see how that would make sense". if someone walked up to you on the street and said that to you, you would think they ust be some sort of a robot because it so so unpersonal. it just makes me think, are they paying someone good money for that? because i could be paid less and produce a lot better than that, microsoft should hire me, i can talk out my ass on the cheap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X