Mozilla Firefox 13 Does Some Redesigning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
    OK, that may be reasonable. But for convenience I just put links I don't use every time into my bookmark bar, so that I can open them with one click, without having them in the way as tabs.
    Be assured, the type of user I am, I'm very well aware of the convenience of bookmarks (I reach for bookmarks in two ways: from a TagSieve (bookmark) sidebar and by simply using the Awesomebar) but sometimes leaving something opened in the background is more convenient and easier for me to remember it's something I need to get to without the need to organize it in bookmarks.

Right-click on a tab, choose bookmark all tabs, problem solved. No need for this new functionality here, I would think. But to each his own, if you find it useful then use it. I personally think that it doesn't make much sense.
    That's one of the things I sometimes do as well, but bookmarking all tabs saves just their URLs, not tab history to begin with. So sometimes it's not enough and again, it makes perfect sense to have this kind of feature for some of us.

Comment

OK, that may be reasonable. But for convenience I just put links I don't use every time into my bookmark bar, so that I can open them with one click, without having them in the way as tabs.

Right-click on a tab, choose bookmark all tabs, problem solved. No need for this new functionality here, I would think. But to each his own, if you find it useful then use it. I personally think that it doesn't make much sense.
      I've been using this functionality for years (well, without the load tabs on demand feature), and it's probably the #1 reason I haven't switched away from Firefox to Chrome or another browser.

I could certainly adjust my workflow to use bookmarks instead, but i find this much more convenient.

Comment

I read this article and was like 'firefox 13, wtf?!?? that's been out forever... then i remembered that i run firefox-nightly. (firefox 15a1) lol.

Does anyone know if firefox 13 has the new animated download button? i can't remember when they implemented that, but i know i was happy to see it. it's indicator (when you start downloads) looks good. You also don't get the old downloads box, and don't need to install a plugin to get rid of it.

Comment

Yes, but bookmarking groups of tabs takes effort, requires you to open them when you need them, close them when you don't, and eventually clean out the bookmarks when you no longer need them. Easier to just leave them permanently open until I choose to close them, and modify the browser to deal with that efficiently.

Comment

SPDY sounds pretty good to, it looks like it makes https slightlyg faster then normal http (dosen't work for normal http). I'll definatly be interested in switching some serveres to it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It loads tabs on demand, which mean if you have 100 tabs open and close your browser.

Then when you start it next time, it will load fast and not take long time and freeze the browser like it used to!

"Dont' load tabs until selected"

Comment

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
                "Dont' load tabs until selected"
                This is new in Firefox 13 or it was there before?

Comment

Speaking about the tabs, google chrome's implementation of tabs as different processes seem to be superior to mozilla's tab implementation. Switching between tabs work smoothly in chrome but gets slow and sluggish in firefox when multiple of them are running. Closing a tab in chrome is as fast as killing a process but in firefox it has a noticeable delay. As for the rendering of pages two browsers seem to be identical in speed though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    This is new in Firefox 13 or it was there before?
                    It's there in Firefox 12 for me on this box and in Firefox 10 on another box.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                      Speaking about the tabs, google chrome's implementation of tabs as different processes seem to be superior to mozilla's tab implementation. Switching between tabs work smoothly in chrome but gets slow and sluggish in firefox when multiple of them are running. Closing a tab in chrome is as fast as killing a process but in firefox it has a noticeable delay. As for the rendering of pages two browsers seem to be identical in speed though.
                      This is a known problem and is being worked on.

some fixes already in Firefox 15: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=743877

If you have many tabs open, timeouts from background tabs can cause slowdowns.
                      1 possible solution: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715376

An experimental extension to kill off all background activity:

And there is ongoing work to try and run the UI in a separate thread from the webpage contents, which would fix it.

Taras's blog is a good place to find out what they are doing about these performance issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X