Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Is Working On A New Web Browser

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Is Working On A New Web Browser

CodeWeavers, the company behind the popular Wine-based CrossOver software for running Windows-based games and office software on Linux and Mac OS X, is preparing to release some sort of new web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ActiveX is evil ... let it die.

Comment

cb88 is a crackpot ... let it die.

Comment

Can someone explain better? I do have at work some intranet "websites" that only work with Internet Explorer 6 (yes, you read that). Does this mean Crossover will release some sort of Chromium (a native linux client) that will have "embedded" IE6+7 support?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          Can someone explain better? I do have at work some intranet "websites" that only work with Internet Explorer 6 (yes, you read that). Does this mean Crossover will release some sort of Chromium (a native linux client) that will have "embedded" IE6+7 support?
          The newsletter wasn't specific enough, but my guess is that it won't be a native Linux client. The entire solution will more than likely be based on wine, rather than having a native renderer with an ActiveX container running in an emulator.

Now that you mention it, though, that doesn't sound like an extremely bad idea. Still, I'm betting it'll run on a wine emulation of the Microsoft Trident rendering engine. They might make the GUI trimmings in native somehow (like how Chrome separates out the trimmings and the content pane) but I would be surprised if the rendering engine isn't Microsoft Trident.

Comment

Would that be legal (running Trident outside of a legitimate Windows installation)?

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
              Would that be legal (running Trident outside of a legitimate Windows installation)?
              If you have a Windows operating system license for a version of Windows that supports the same version of Internet Explorer -- yes.

There's been a fair bit of study by companies (including CodeWeavers) about the legality of running Microsoft's runtimes outside of Windows. The general consensus is that it's fine as long as you can run those same binaries under a Windows license that is licensed to the computer you're using. So all you have to do is either buy an OEM computer that comes with an already-activated copy of Windows, or else, install Windows, activate it, then uninstall it and run Linux with Wine, and you should be good to go.

IANAL and this is just community advice that's been passed around, but the legal hand-me-downs from the free software community -- especially when their origins stem from the larger corporations like Red Hat or the organizations like the FSF -- instill me with more confidence than casual speculation.

Comment

OK, but then it must be made clear this is not a way to get rid of Windows (I mean purchasing a Windows license) just for running IE.

Comment

I find it extremely unlikely that they would use triden for this.

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
                    Yes. They wrote all the code themselves, or their "partner" did. All 100% legal reverse engineering. Just like samba to smb :P
                    Secondly: The reason its legal is also because this is not trident, its something that is compitable with trident.

The entire "point" of this idea is basically to get a software that can access all those pesky Active X sites, and sell support for Crossover at the same time, and the user running a modern browser at the side of this. If they succed they can sell licenses, companies can install a newer OS, and the fact that the application will most likely be bootstrapped to only access the Active X part of the network will also improve security if well handled.

Comment

Working...
                    X