X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffledmollusc
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks. There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

Ubuntu is dead.
    Shrug. My feeling is different.

I can't remember if I first tried Unity in 10.10 or 11.04, but back then I thought it was a candidate for the worst UI ever perpetrated on humanity. I tried it again in 11.10 and found it was vastly improved, to the point where I found it very usable, and now I'm productive with it than I was with Gnome 2. I expect the 12.04 version will be still more polished.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Oh, forgot to mention that it's still fugly as hell. Look at the icons and widget elements/controls (like buttons, scrollbars, menus, etc) of OS X, Windows 7 and KDE. Then look at Ubuntu. It looks like it's still stuck at the year 2002.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    There's no menu to start apps:
    - Upper left, type in word thats somewhat like the app you want "internet/word/text/java"
    That almost the same as using the terminal. Users need to SEE the applications, not start guessing their names. It takes too long to search. I already KNOW what I want to start, why the hell would I search for it if I already know what it is. And if don't already know, then how could I search for it.

- Upper left, bottom, select second icon from left for category. Filter all by system/games/media/internet... etc. Same results as navigating tree menus with additional contextual search, or combinations of search params.
    Awful. We don't need "filters". You click on a filter, apps are added to the list instead of showing only the clicked category.

Morons designed this.

you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even:
    - Left hand bar, launch Ubuntu Software Center, on top select "Installed Software" and drill down.
    Doesn't work. It only shows about 5% of what's installed.

- Install Synaptic
    What? A Linux distro should have it built-in. How am I supposed to know what "synaptic" is to begin with?

- Upper left, search by installed categories, filter, etc, much like before.
    Shows crap. Only a small handful of packages are listed.

you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal
    - See Ubuntu Sofware Center above.
    See how crap it is above.

you can't uninstall apps
    - See Ubuntu Sofware Center above. Search installed software, click that "remove" button
    It doesn't uninstall. I wanted to uninstall LibreOffice. I can't. It just uninstalls part of it, leaving the bigger part on disk to linger there for all eternity.

the GUI sucks ass...
    - It appears you didn't even bother to learn the GUI. You can't draw conclusions, or, such drastic ones.
    This GUI sucks. Period. I have a computer, not a mobile phone.

Ubuntu is dead.
    --You're a drama queen.
    No, I just realized that Canonical has morons working for them.

Perhaps I find it easy because I work in OSX daily (along side Windows 7 & Ubuntu & 2008 Server &... its a mess). The paradigms for the Unity GUI are very different from the Windows clones you're used to. But I suggest you dig a little deeper and ask some questions before arriving at the conclusions you did. I really do find the Unity GUI to be nice, and it stays out of my way.
    OS X and Windows 7 have excellent GUIs. Functional, powerful, intuitive. Ubuntu now has something that looks good on screenshots, but trying to use it makes me wanna kick-in my monitor.

I bet you that Ubuntu will die sooner rather than later with that stink-awful poor excuse of a GUI they came up with.

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks.

There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

Ubuntu is dead.

There's no menu to start apps:
    - Upper left, type in word thats somewhat like the app you want "internet/word/text/java"
    or
    - Upper left, bottom, select second icon from left for category. Filter all by system/games/media/internet... etc. Same results as navigating tree menus with additional contextual search, or combinations of search params.

you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even:
    - Left hand bar, launch Ubuntu Software Center, on top select "Installed Software" and drill down.
    or
    - Install Synaptic
    or
    - Upper left, search by installed categories, filter, etc, much like before.

you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal
    - See Ubuntu Sofware Center above.

you can't uninstall apps
    - See Ubuntu Sofware Center above. Search installed software, click that "remove" button

the GUI sucks ass...
    - It appears you didn't even bother to learn the GUI. You can't draw conclusions, or, such drastic ones.

Ubuntu is dead.
    - You're a drama queen.

Perhaps I find it easy because I work in OSX daily (along side Windows 7 & Ubuntu & 2008 Server &... its a mess). The paradigms for the Unity GUI are very different from the Windows clones you're used to. But I suggest you dig a little deeper and ask some questions before arriving at the conclusions you did. I really do find the Unity GUI to be nice, and it stays out of my way.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks. There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

Ubuntu is dead.

Leave a comment:

• Hohlraum
    replied
    I'll try Mint again as soon as they support basic functionality like RAID in the installer.

Leave a comment:

• DoDoENT
    replied
    As far as I see here, the 32bit version is still recommended. Isn't 64-bit version supposed to be recommended from 12.04 on?

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    I've been using 12.04 since late alpha .something release. I love Unity. Good job Ubuntu!

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" Released

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the "Precise Pangolin", was officially released this morning...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5MjU
    I'm waiting for Mint 13, as it'll be far less annoying to stick with Mate/Gnome2 or Cinnamon.

Leave a comment:

• Hohlraum
    replied
    Now the wait for the .1 "actually stable" release

Leave a comment:

Working...
X