Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks. There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

Ubuntu is dead.
    Shrug. My feeling is different.

I can't remember if I first tried Unity in 10.10 or 11.04, but back then I thought it was a candidate for the worst UI ever perpetrated on humanity. I tried it again in 11.10 and found it was vastly improved, to the point where I found it very usable, and now I'm productive with it than I was with Gnome 2. I expect the 12.04 version will be still more polished.

Comment

No, I just realized that Canonical has morons working for them.
      No no, he's right, you really are a drama queen.

Luckily there are a trillion distros out there.

Please go away and use one you like. Quietly.

"widget elements/controls of OS X, Windows 7 and KDE"

"fugly as hell"

Really? I mean, really?

Let's have a look shall we:

Windows 7

OS X Lion

Ubuntu 12.04

I like this one but it's an unfair comparison, far too high res

I don't think anybody can honesty say that Ubuntu 12.04 does not stack up against 7 and Lion.
      Looks to me like it's halfway between the two myself.

As for usability, I've never had any problems.
      Super + type what I'm looking for + Return
      Just like Win7.

And as a long time sufferer of Windows at work, including Win7, there is nothing, NOTHING, intuitive about Microsoft interfaces.
      Apple, yes. They know how to build an intuitive interface.
      Microsoft. Dear god no.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post

"fugly as hell"

Really? I mean, really?

*PICS*

Windows 7
        I don't think anybody can honesty say that Ubuntu 12.04 does not stack up against 7 and Lion.

Just like Win7.

And as a long time sufferer of Windows at work, including Win7, there is nothing, NOTHING, intuitive about Microsoft interfaces.
        Microsoft. Dear god no.
        I just think hating on Ubuntu is the popular thing for kids to do these days. ;-) You can offer solutions and tips, but they'll fall on deaf ears.

Comment

I see what you did there. You covered the fugly desktop and didn't show any widget controls, but instead showed an app that uses its own, custom controls. Clever.

Comment

OS X and Windows 7 have excellent GUIs. Functional, powerful, intuitive. Ubuntu now has something that looks good on screenshots, but trying to use it makes me wanna kick-in my monitor.
            OS X is pure crap, but Win7 has usable environment. However, after years spent in KDE4 I don't want to even look at Win7. Win8 looks to be the worst thing ever.

I bet you that Ubuntu will die sooner rather than later with that stink-awful poor excuse of a GUI they came up with.
            I kinda like Unity, but the way of launching applications is very annoying. I prefer traditional desktops. Ubuntu is becoming more and more popular, but it can be related to possibility of running Gnome2 like desktop. There are people who love Unity and there are people who hate it, but they like other parts of the system. There are also people who hate entire Ubuntu of course. I forget - the windows menu is terrible, because there are no groups like in KDE.

Comment

you are not in his shoes, and have diff taste

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post

"fugly as hell"

Really? I mean, really?

Windows 7

OS X Lion

Ubuntu 12.04

I like this one but it's an unfair comparison, far too high res

Just like Win7.

Microsoft. Dear god no.

He was complaining "TYPING" (AKA GUESSING) to get what he wanted in UBUNTU, instead of the traditional way "CLICKING" on the item that displayed on the screen before his eyes.

Your word "Just like Win7." only means you like TYPING in both OS, but you forget or ignore the other way in WIN7---the "CLICKING".
              So definitely it does not like WIN7.

Life is short, I just want get things done, without guessing, without finding, and the shortest way existed before in Ubuntu, ---clicking on the item shown on screen.

I, maybe not you, have the same pain.
              I do not like my big screen computer has an interface of smart phone.

I want it to keep quiet, not in my way ( not asking me to TYPE/GUESS all the time).

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                I've been using 12.04 since late alpha .something release. I love Unity. Good job Ubuntu!
                Similar experience here. Installed alpha 2, along with xorg-edgers and my hand-assembled KDE, on 5 February to a ThinkPad X1. Have kept up dist-upgraded all through development and it behaved remarkably well the entire time. It's been the most stable *buntu for me yet. Therefore, this weekend I will nuke and pave the X1 and start with Q-why-can-I-never-remember-whatitsname.

Comment

Originally posted by nullone View Post
                  Life is short, I just want get things done, without guessing, without finding, and the shortest way existed before in Ubuntu, ---clicking on the item shown on screen.
                  Kubuntu is much better than Win7 or Ubuntu, so if you want to get things done just use Kubuntu. Imagine you have dozens of installed applications and it's a real pain to find the one you need in Win7 or Ubuntu without typing. In such case Ubuntu is in better position, because there are categories in Unity, but when someone has less applications installed it's easier to find one in Win7. KDE is good in every case.

Comment

I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks. There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

Ubuntu is dead.
                    I think I have to agree. When a new release came out, pre-Unity, one would start a torrent and it would download faster than taking the ISO directly from their servers. Since Unity I've found that the torrents are slower, there just aren't as many peers and the peers that are present are slower. It's been over twelve hours and I'm still only half way there.

This tells me that many people have jumped ship for other distributions and it's unfortunate that Canonical, or Mark personally, cannot see what they have or he has done to the Ubuntu community.

I haven't liked the new interface but was willing to try it in it new "polished" form but I see from this thread that there are still many unhappy with it. My current candidate, waiting until I'd made a decision on this was probably going to be OpenSuSE but I'll still have a look, when it finally downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by nullone View Post
                      He was complaining "TYPING" (AKA GUESSING) to get what he wanted in UBUNTU, instead of the traditional way "CLICKING" on the item that displayed on the screen before his eyes.

Your word "Just like Win7." only means you like TYPING in both OS, but you forget or ignore the other way in WIN7---the "CLICKING".
                      So definitely it does not like WIN7.

I, maybe not you, have the same pain.
                      I do not like my big screen computer has an interface of smart phone.

I want it to keep quiet, not in my way ( not asking me to TYPE/GUESS all the time).
                      Count me in. Looks like some people forgot their early time they used their comp. Or maybe our ROBOJ1M here is a genius. There's no word 'learning curve' for him. Plus, he can memorize all the program that he need.

And, I prefer win7 menu than ubuntu anytime. Or kde . Not interested on OSX

Comment

Working...
                      X