LightDM-KDE 0.1.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    KDM is so damn unmaintained, I doubt that KDM even uses relatively recent Plasma Workspace features. So whether to write code to make KDM use those features or do the same for LightDM-KDE shouldn't matter much.
    The difference is, LightDM is cross-platform. Personally, I think replacement of all other login managers by this LightDM is a great idea.

Comment

Interesting replies, thanks. I'll admit I was operating under the presumption that KDM is roughly equivalent to GDM, and thus thinking that Matthew's argument against replacing GDM with LightDM was applicable to KDM vs. LightDM-KDE. Seems to be not so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
        The difference is, LightDM is cross-platform. Personally, I think replacement of all other login managers by this LightDM is a great idea.
        LightDM is currently not cross-platform. Or have you seen a port to FreeBSD or any other non-Linux OS anywhere? LightDM is – within the Linux ecosystem – cross-desktop but that's different from cross-platform.
        The blog post from Matthew Garrett is correct in that regard that it makes no sense to replace a well maintained, fully working display manager with something LightDM-based. LightDM is indeed relatively new code. Simply throwing everything out just for fun is crazy. Granted, it's ironic to read that from a GNOME person, because the GNOME project did such stupid things several times (PulseAudio, GStreamer, Empathy). ;-)

In case of KDE the premise is entirely different: KDM – while working well – is relatively unmaintained and full of legacy technologies. An entirely new front-end (or Greeter in LightDM terminology) using QML/Plasma would be needed to be written anyway and – as Matthew Garrett also wrote – LightDM makes it easy to start from scratch.
        From KDE’s POV using LightDM makes a lot of sense: The only required workload is the new Greeter. The rest is managed by other people.
        KDM can easily be kept until LightDM-KDE is ready (incl. BSD ports).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          LightDM is currently not cross-platform. Or have you seen a port to FreeBSD or any other non-Linux OS anywhere? LightDM is ? within the Linux ecosystem ? cross-desktop but that's different from cross-platform.
          The blog post from Matthew Garrett is correct in that regard that it makes no sense to replace a well maintained, fully working display manager with something LightDM-based. LightDM is indeed relatively new code. Simply throwing everything out just for fun is crazy. Granted, it's ironic to read that from a GNOME person, because the GNOME project did such stupid things several times (PulseAudio, GStreamer, Empathy). ;-)

In case of KDE the premise is entirely different: KDM ? while working well ? is relatively unmaintained and full of legacy technologies. An entirely new front-end (or Greeter in LightDM terminology) using QML/Plasma would be needed to be written anyway and ? as Matthew Garrett also wrote ? LightDM makes it easy to start from scratch.
          From KDE?s POV using LightDM makes a lot of sense: The only required workload is the new Greeter. The rest is managed by other people.
          KDM can easily be kept until LightDM-KDE is ready (incl. BSD ports).
          Yup, my bad choice of word.

Comment

Working...
          X