Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightDM-KDE 0.1.0 Released

Phoronix: LightDM-KDE 0.1.0 Released

The KDE LightDM greeter is now up to version 0.1.0, which is now usable enough to make it into the Ubuntu 12.04 repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hardly would call this "light". I wanted to install this (Arch Linux package) and it requires both gtk2 and gtk3 as well as dosen other packages, including GNOME dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
      I hardly would call this "light". I wanted to install this (Arch Linux package) and it requires both gtk2 and gtk3 as well as dosen other packages, including GNOME dependencies.
      Pretty sure you can disable many build options and dependencies in the pkgbuild...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Pretty sure you can disable many build options and dependencies in the pkgbuild...
        You're right, I just checked, and I can compile it without gtk. Thanks.

Comment

Well, it's almost usable.

Comment

Why is this thing necessary? What will LightDM-KDE do for me better that KDM?

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
              Why is this thing necessary? What will LightDM-KDE do for me better that KDM?
              It takes less time to port to Wayland and has superior theming capability thanks to QML. Porting KDM to QML would have been a lot more difficult if I'm not mistaken. Thanks to lightDM it requires less maintance from KDE developers that has been a problem for KDM for a long time. KDE developers no longer have to build all features from scratch because lightDM is shared project with Ubuntu/Unity and possibly more in the future.

Comment

But itsn't the issue more than just easier porting KDM to QML so that we can have pretty greeters? Matthew Garrett argues against LightDM regardless of what your DE is. LightDM appears to require re-implementing much of what the DE already does, so ultimately there's duplicate code hanging around, and potential for policy mismatches.

Comment

But itsn't the issue more than just easier porting KDM to QML so that we can have pretty greeters?
                  Maybe if someone actually did the job. The tasks itself is much easier with LightDM though. Plasma based KDM was planned for years but never took off. LightDM-KDE has been under active developement for a long time now. KDM hasn't seen much significant development and the thing with open source developement is that if someone isn't going to find it interesting no one will do it.

Matthew Garrett argues against LightDM regardless of what your DE is.
                  I think it should be quite obvious that not everone agrees.

LightDM appears to require re-implementing much of what the DE already does, so ultimately there's duplicate code hanging around, and potential for policy mismatches.
                  KDM doesn't seem to have any power management functionality and the policies are user defined anway so I don't see how that is so big loss. I don't know anything about these kinds of things but wouldn't it be possible to implement dbus API for LightDM powermanagement and implement that to PowerDevil or something to keep them in sync? The greeter itself shares code with Plasma. I guess there are some dublication but so is there now with KDM.

Comment

KDM is so damn unmaintained, I doubt that KDM even uses relatively recent Plasma Workspace features. So whether to write code to make KDM use those features or do the same for LightDM-KDE shouldn't matter much.

Comment

Working...
                    X