Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Needs Your Help Hitting On GNOME Software Rendering

Phoronix: Fedora Needs Your Help Hitting On GNOME Software Rendering

If you have a few minutes to spare today, the Fedora developers have organized a test day where they're looking for users with either no Linux graphics driver support (or just troubled drivers) to try their systems with a new spin of Fedora 17 that's taking advantage of Gallium3D LLVMpipe-powered software rendering for the GNOME Shell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't boot. Untested.

Sorry, Need more info? Here: I burned it to a DVD-RW, verified the burn against the sha256sum, rebooted, the boot loader came up, and then a black screen. Nothing. DOA. With 7970 graphics and first-gen Core i7.

Fedora 16 is my production OS. Boot works without KMS for F16 live CD. I use fglrx because the open drivers are (still) not ready.
    Last edited by allquixotic; 29 March 2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Sure, but...

First, they has to convince me to use that gnome shell crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
        First, they has to convince me to use that gnome shell crap.
        This would equally help the developers of Cinnamon, or KDE using simple 3D effects, or Unity, or Firefox with WebGL or hardware compositing, etc.

Yes, the LiveCD is just Shell, but the point is just to make sure the basics of the hardware accel work, not to test Shell itself.

Comment

Cinamon might also benefit from it as it's a fork of Gnome 3 so it's rendering code doesn't differ that much, but kwin uses different code paths that might not benefit from optimizations being done for Gnome. So it would be nice if they also did this for the KDE spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
            Cinamon might also benefit from it as it's a fork of Gnome 3 so it's rendering code doesn't differ that much, but kwin uses different code paths that might not benefit from optimizations being done for Gnome. So it would be nice if they also did this for the KDE spin.
            Fedora does it for major versions of GNOME and KDE regularly usually once per development cycle and although it is possible that KWin and GNOME Shell can hit different rendering issues, it is useful to test for both and it would be helpful for everyone interested, be it a GNOME user or not, Fedora user or not to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
              KDE's not using llvmpipe yet as the KDE maintainers tested already and found it to be unusably slow; there's some necessary optimization that's not been done yet.

Comment

Working...
              X