A New BFS "Smoking" Scheduler For Linux 3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
    Why is it that some people go online, and write really lame-ass responses. "war". LOL. In my mail it said "fucking war". You removed the "fucking". Dude the whole thing is really lame.
    It is true, I also got the same text in my email.

And your repulsive ignorance with "peace" etc, is inexpressibly stupid. Get educated, learn about some other cultures. And you will find it is a common greeting, and in groups far larger than jamaicans, rastafari, and hasish smoking.
    +1

RealNC, do you feel cool if you write that? Get some peace, man.

Comment

worst case latency

It seems to me that some people are not placing enough value on worst-case latency for user interactivity and responsiveness. Most of the benchmarks I have seen here measure throughput and average latency. When I am using my computer, the worst feeling is if it "freezes" for a few seconds, even if that only happens once an hour, it really bothers me. I would be willing to give up a lot of throughput (or tolerate higher average latency) if it can eliminate such freezes. I don't know that BFS can accomplish that (or linux realtime, or something else), but whether another scheduler could eliminate such freezes or not, I don't think the benchmarks being discussed do a good job of measuring this issue.

Comment

Yo, peace mah man. Me an' mah homies are chillin' an' readin' thah forums. Yo, check it out man, people are writin' "peace" cuz it makes 'em look cool.

As for BFS, it's still better than CFS. I get XRUNS with JACK when running CFS that I do not get with BFS. So it's not a placebo, it's actually audible.

Word. (/me crosses hands over my chest and makes the peace sign)
        Last edited by RealNC; 25 March 2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yo, peace mah man. Me an' mah homies are chillin' an' readin' thah forums. Yo, check it out man, people are writin' "peace" cuz it makes 'em look cool.

As for BFS, it's still better than CFS. I get XRUNS with JACK when running CFS that I do not get with BFS. So it's not a placebo, it's actually audible.

No you`re just a retard.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
            It seems to me that some people are not placing enough value on worst-case latency for user interactivity and responsiveness. Most of the benchmarks I have seen here measure throughput and average latency. When I am using my computer, the worst feeling is if it "freezes" for a few seconds, even if that only happens once an hour, it really bothers me. I would be willing to give up a lot of throughput (or tolerate higher average latency) if it can eliminate such freezes. I don't know that BFS can accomplish that (or linux realtime, or something else), but whether another scheduler could eliminate such freezes or not, I don't think the benchmarks being discussed do a good job of measuring this issue.
            Freezes for a FEW SECONDS? Dude, I ran 0.33 ms latency, with renoise, browsing the internet in the background watching youtube. For quite a while. To see if occasional glitches would happen. They did not.
            I did stresstest it, and a FEW clicks did happen, can`t remember anymore what that was. But normal usage was fine. Just renoise was perfect.

Btw, if you run ubuntu they fuxxored up some settings there.

/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
            is modified by installations of jackd, but it has too low rtprio. (95) It should read: (and this fixes the problem).
            ---------------------------------------------------------

# Provided by the jackd package.
            #
            # Changes to this file will be preserved.
            #
            # If you want to enable/disable realtime permissions, run
            #
            # dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd

@audio - rtprio 99
            @audio - memlock unlimited
            @audio - nice -20

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
              I agree that worst-case responsiveness is probably more important for desktop use than average or best-case, but anything that's multiple seconds has NOTHING to do with a CPU scheduler. Maybe the IO scheduler.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

I'm not sure you intended it, but this post sounds very racist to me. You're just making yourself look bad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I'm not sure you intended it, but this post sounds very racist to me. You're just making yourself look bad right now.
                  He thinks I am doing this because I am cool. (Yes I am cool.) But not at all. It is a beautiful greeting of peace, of monotheists many places. Actually I don`t know any better greeting. Than to greet people in peace. I think a lot more should do that online. And stop the gangsta attitude, which to me, only he is displaying.

Peace!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I agree that worst-case responsiveness is probably more important for desktop use than average or best-case, but anything that's multiple seconds has NOTHING to do with a CPU scheduler. Maybe the IO scheduler.
                    It does seem to be related to IO, but I doubt it is the IO scheduler since it happens with cfq, deadline, and bfq.

My OS is on an SSD, but I have a lot of HDDs with data on them. The most common correlation with the freezes is when I have a lot of IO going on with the HDDs (but not the OS SSD which is mostly idle) which are using mpt2sas. The freezes usually show up as all programs not responding for a few seconds (chromium, firefox, gnome-terminal, etc.).

Comment

Freezes for a FEW SECONDS? Dude, I ran 0.33 ms latency, with renoise, browsing the internet in the background watching youtube. For quite a while. To see if occasional glitches would happen. They did not.
                      Good for you. That does not mean that all workloads will have a max latency of 0.33ms.

By the way, I thought the kernel timer could be set to 1000Hz at most, so I don't understand sub 1ms latencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X