Fedora Wants Your Help To Improve GNOME's Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I actually have no major complaints with Gnome Shell itself. I really was skeptical at first, but adjusted. The "hot corner" concept, in retrospect, seems like it's at least a decade overdue (insert rant here about how some Workbench hack actually did it first in 1988 in 22 bytes of 68K assembly language or whatever, but AFAIK Gnome 3 was the first major desktop to actually make it central).
    That isn't true at all. MacOSX has had hot-corners for years and years, and it's a feature that i have been using in OSX for longer than i can remember.... compiz also has had hot-corners (and hot-edges) for a very long time, as well. Both compiz and MacOSX allow you to customize hot-corners, with whatever function/use that are available.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
      They should not forget there are desktop users of gnome 3 too, as they're trying to hide every menu or option out there for touch devices. But I'm a desktop/laptop user, I use a mouse and I want my bookmarks in a side panel in nautilus (for example).
      Nautilus does have a sidebar in gnome 3 still, hell its still the default...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        Red Hat, as a big evil corporate entity, really doesn't care a whole lot about GNOME. It's the hard truth. You don't need to take my word for it; just follow the money. We famously don't make any money off the desktop, right? Strictly that's not true, but it's true that it forms a very minor part of Red Hat's revenue stream.
        The kind of people who do real work on Redhat-based desktops (e.g. Redhat, CentOS or Scientific Linux) tend to be the people who hate Gnome 3 because it gets in the way of that work, and also tend to be the people who get to decide what OS will run on their servers (i.e. Redhat or... something else).

Ultimately I don't care a whole lot about Gnome 3 either because I'll be switching to a different GUI or a different OS when Redhat pushes it out. But I honestly don't understand why Redhat is paying developers to push a tablet GUI on us. I am really, truly, mind-bogglingly puzzled by this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          I know it's hard, but it'd be great if people could avoid turning this into yet another 'GNOME 3 is great / GNOME 3 sucks' thread. This is a test day.
          What site do you think you're on? You should just be glad that Qaridarium hasn't (yet) posted some huge, annoying, 4chan-style retarded image in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            What site do you think you're on? You should just be glad that Qaridarium hasn't (yet) posted some huge, annoying, 4chan-style retarded image in this thread.
            Last edited by bwat47; 21 March 2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X