Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical got rid of Kubuntu

Yep, Cannonical dropped any support for Kubuntu:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Weird how they're "disappointed" about Kubuntu's failure, even though they've treated it like a second-class citizen from the beginning. Everybody knows Ubuntu. Even my grandmother heard the name at least once. Ask 100 people about Kubuntu. 95 of them will think that you just pronounced "Ubuntu" in a weird way.

And how could it be different? They've put it on a different domain and given it a different name. To most people it looked like some inferior spin-off product rather than the "real thing", which is Ubuntu. They never went with the sane choice: putting "Gnome login" and "KDE login" in the login screen. Or at least what openSUSE does with the "Gnome" and "KDE" choice during installation.

How could Kubuntu *not* fail?

The Kubuntu live images have been too much focussed on pure KDE apps, that's stupid. Combine it with Firefox/Thunderbird/Java/GIMP and full featured codec support and it will be much better. For Kanotix i do not use KDE apps for everything, much better suited for live mode, Kubuntu failed becauce of pure kde.

Comment

The title of this thread is completely retarded. They didn't "get rid of" kubuntu. They reassigned the ONE paid dev that was working on it. Its still an "official" ubuntu derivative, only now its treated the same way as xubuntu, or lubuntu (they never had any ubuntu paid developers)

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      very sad i think i drop Kubuntu and use Debian instead.

i just wait for debian7.
      As I mentioned above, you don't need to switch distros because of this. Kubuntu isn't going to magically disappear, this new has been blown way, way out of proportion. The only people killing kubuntu are the ones making sensationalist headlines.

Comment

When you feel you are switching distro just because of single software, its time for you to use source-based and become man of his own

Debian KDE is pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yep, Cannonical dropped any support for Kubuntu:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Weird how they're "disappointed" about Kubuntu's failure, even though they've treated it like a second-class citizen from the beginning. Everybody knows Ubuntu. Even my grandmother heard the name at least once. Ask 100 people about Kubuntu. 95 of them will think that you just pronounced "Ubuntu" in a weird way.

And how could it be different? They've put it on a different domain and given it a different name. To most people it looked like some inferior spin-off product rather than the "real thing", which is Ubuntu. They never went with the sane choice: putting "Gnome login" and "KDE login" in the login screen. Or at least what openSUSE does with the "Gnome" and "KDE" choice during installation.

How could Kubuntu *not* fail?
          I totally agree. Your evaluation seems most accurate to me.

Did you read the rant from Kubuntu's developer on Distrowatch? Imho, he sounds like a baby. Is it so inconceivable to conclude that Kubuntu is 'dead' or has failed when the funding is cut off entirely?

Taking away resources or investment often means a negative result.....duh!

But, your point about how it was perceived is spot on. Even users who have tried it often said that other distros with 'KDE spins' did a better job than the KDE-centric Kubuntu. That's pretty pathetic.

I used it when I really liked KDE before it went to the new transformation. I haven't used KDE for a long time now. Not even sure what they're at now. It was so terrible when I last tried it.

I have read, too, that Debian KDE was better than Kubuntu. I even read that Fedora, a Gnome-centric distro, does a better job! The entire Ubuntu culture has been to have the mentality of 'our way or the highway' and being versatile or offering choice is not a priority. Imho, Ubuntu is the most depressing thing in Linux today.

Comment

Kubuntu isn't dead, it's just fighting evil in a different dimension.

(I'm using 12.04 right now, it's far from deadish) Is Xubuntu dead? Is Lubuntu dead? Of course not. Canonical is no longer paying one of their employees to do things to KDE that suits their business interests.

Is it a bad thing for the user that Canonical is no longer interested in manipulating KDE on Ubuntu to their ends? Probably not.

Does it mean anything to a user that is not paying for Canonical support that they are no longer offering paid support? No. Not at all.

Kubuntu is not about to die. What does need to die is this ridiculous FUD fest. So one person is gone from the project. People that have done more for any software in KDE than Jonathon Riddell did come and go all the time. He was one person.

No one person should be the end all be all of any project. It's the sign of an unhealthy project when that *is* the case, but it's not the case here.

Talk among yourselves.

Comment

Working...
            X