No announcement yet.

Unity: Very Intrusive & A Nightmare To Maintain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu = Unity and Canonical will continue to make it better and easier for end users.
    They don't care if other projects reject Compiz or Unity, it will make Unity even more unique in Linuxland.

Ubuntu will continue to follow it's own direction, just like Google did with Android.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      <KDE/GNOME/XFCE/LXDE/Cinnamon/Enlightenment/GNUStep/WindowMaker, RPM/DPKG, Compiz/Metacity/OpenBox/Sawfish/FVWM2/twm, XGL/AIGLX, EGCS/GCC, systemd/Upstart/sysv-init, XFree86/X.org, LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org, X11/Wayland, system-config-tools/YaST, EMACS/Vim> as-is will eventually eat <favorite distribution> whole, because it's a huge schism with the rest of Linux distro ecosystem, and <favorite distribution> isn't strong enough on its own to pull the entire app development community behind it.
      Fixed it for you.

The Linux desktop is not and never has been a cohesive, unified, recognizable experience. It's always been a ton of different experiences, all equally completely unknown and completely uninteresting to people who just want to use their computer to actually get shit done.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        I keep hoping they'll retire Unity, but it seems like Ubuntu is digging in deeper and deeper. The worst part of it is that they could probably replicated 90% of the "Unity experience" just by extending Gnome Shell.
        Working with the GNOME developers didn't work out too well for Canonical in the past. GNOME suffers from the NIH syndrom and this is just too time consuming in the long run. You can't discuss every little feature to death if you want to get things done. That's probably why Canonical is taking the Android approach now.

Comment

Whatever

Maybe their lazyness is too hard to mantain. Unity offers a lot better experience for the final user than the gnome shell.
          For the first time in years i am starting to use a desktop that is not KDE, and i like it for its simplicity and usefullness.

by the way, installing Unity in Archlinux is a shot to the floor, and i am still using the official xorg from arch, not the patched version.

Comment

Linux blows dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              Working with the GNOME developers didn't work out too well for Canonical in the past. GNOME suffers from the NIH syndrom and this is just too time consuming in the long run. You can't discuss every little feature to death if you want to get things done. That's probably why Canonical is taking the Android approach now.
              Oh yes, this. Most of the core gnome hackers are @redhat and when the gnome people proposed what is now gnome3 the canonical people really didn't like that and went with unity effectively forking due to the mind set of the red hat people. I really am a unity fanboy. :-)

Comment

As for me I dislike both Unity and Gnome3 but gnome 3 is even more awkward and can't be adjusted in the very basic things (like font size, etc). However now I really prefer Xubuntu and Lubuntu. They just work and don't try to line me up and command me that I should learn some brand new uber-concepts which seems to have usability problems here and there.

As for being intrusive, isn't systemd is intrusive as well?

Comment

Working...
                X