Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz Is Likely To Get The Boot From Fedora 17

Phoronix: Compiz Is Likely To Get The Boot From Fedora 17

While Fedora 17 has a massive amount of features to look forward to, updates to Compiz is likely not on the agenda. In the coming days, Compiz and its related packages for this compositing window manager are likely to be removed from the Fedora 17 package-list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've moved on

I haven't used Compiz since Gnome-3 in Fedora 16's beta. Just the other day, I switched from gnome-shell to fallback mode, so that I could use the nouveau driver without video tearing. It makes keeping up with the upstream kernels much easier, since I'm now 100% non-proprietary. I also find that my desktop feels much faster without the transition animations that I couldn't shut off in gnome-shell. It did take a bit to figure out how to configure the panels (alt+right-click), but now my desktop is fully customized to my liking, and no extensions needed.

Comment

May be not a so good idea

KDE can use compiz alongside kwin. And some use that as far I know as Kwin on some old configuration causes trouble.

Comment

openSUSE has the same issue, the current maintainer is stepping down and if no one else takes over then compiz will also be removed there.

Comment

As far as i know even gentoo people dropped compiz ebuild from portage, too bad.
          I'm currenctly using it alongside kde4.8 because it is still MUCH faster than kwin, expecially when it comes to firefox smooth scroll.
          Hoping archlinux will continue to provide binaries...

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            Yes, agreed. There's always the AUR of course if we need it.

I always used Compiz on Gnome 2, not (primarily) for bling but for its many useful features. I dumped Gnome since it turned 3 but kept Compiz and I've even learnt a bit more by having to replace most of the Gnome components of my desktop. Much happier now with the independence.
            Last edited by chimeland; 03 February 2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

And nothing of value was lost

One can always use xcompmgr for compositing anyway.

Comment

yeah, but xcompmgr = tearing

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  As far as i know even gentoo people dropped compiz ebuild from portage, too bad.
                  I'm currenctly using it alongside kde4.8 because it is still MUCH faster than kwin, expecially when it comes to firefox smooth scroll.
                  Hmm seems you are right..
                  http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-wm/compiz
                  http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-wm/compiz-fusion

It's there but it seems to have been hardmasked. Don't know how long ago though. I've had it installed (but never used it) from the desktop-overlay, and pretty recently uninstalled it, so I didn't notice the masking.

Comment

Yes it's been dropped from Gentoo. Typically things are hardmasked prior to removal. This happened quite a while before I knew Fedora was considering doing the same. http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-de...6b24af6f54.xml

Comment

Working...
                    X