Compiz Is Likely To Get The Boot From Fedora 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Have you tried using just kwin in 4.8? I had ALWAYS had performance issues with kwin, but in 4.8 its smooth as butter all the way.
    Yes, i tried 4.8 too.
    Leave some windows on the screen and then drag one with vsync on, you'll see how compiz is smoother,expecially with blur active.Even mutter wins (no blur).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      What does that site tell me, exactly? How does it show that it's not dead?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        What does that site tell me, exactly? How does it show that it's not dead?
        I guess because there are commits done today.

Comment

Hello,

Just want to clarify what is going on in Gentoo regarding Compiz, it has been masked for removal by the treecleaners as it no longer has a maintainer.

You can keep it in the tree if you can find someone to maintian the packages....

From the old maintainer: "I no longer have the time nor will to work on the desktop-effects packages. In reality they've been unmaintained for quite sometime now. Unless someone steps up, there won't be any alternative to finally remove compiz from the tree."

Please contact me if you are interested in saving compiz. thev00d00 AT gentoo DOT org

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post
            I have to admit that I also stopped using Compiz since I switched over to KDE 4. But, back in the KDE 3.5 days, I was really hooked on Compiz, playing around with it, trying to find the perfect balance between subtlety and in your face bling. Even though I don't use it anymore, it still feels like it would be the end of an era if Compiz was to die.

In my mind, Compiz will always be the original "Composited Desktop". They guys who opened our eyes to the possibilities...
            Just for the record, it is one of the better known ones however it is not the earliest. Owen Taylor from Red Hat demonstrated the wobbly windows effect with a fork of Metacity several years earlier and Sun had Project Looking Glass probably even before that. Metacity was released with stable compositing support atleast a year before Compiz. Novell developer Compiz in-house and made a splash launching SLED but it seems to have lost maintenance soon after as a business decision and the history of maintenance after that point seems very spotty with multiple forks and merges.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Just for the record, it is one of the better known ones however it is not the earliest. Owen Taylor from Red Hat demonstrated the wobbly windows effect with a fork of Metacity several years earlier and Sun had Project Looking Glass probably even before that. Metacity was released with stable compositing support atleast a year before Compiz. Novell developer Compiz in-house and made a splash launching SLED but it seems to have lost maintenance soon after as a business decision and the history of maintenance after that point seems very spotty with multiple forks and merges.
              The support in Metacity was disabled for many releases though, so it was far from stable. I'm definitely sure that compiz was way ahead of that. Not that it's important.
              Last edited by Azpegath; 04 February 2012, 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                The support in Metacity was disabled for many releases though, so it was far from stable. I'm definitely sure that compiz was way ahead of that. Not that it's important.
                The stability problems were more in the drivers however. Compiz had quirks while Metacity developers were more interested in getting the underlying problems fixed directly. It is just a difference in approach.

Comment

I used compiz once but I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    The stability problems were more in the drivers however. Compiz had quirks while Metacity developers were more interested in getting the underlying problems fixed directly. It is just a difference in approach.
                    So Compiz worked fine, but there wasn't even possibility to turn the desktop effects on in metacicy (except editing some text files...). That cannot be called support.

Comment

Working...
                    X