No announcement yet.

Corel Releases Professional Linux Photo Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corel usually make high quality products too. I used to love their Wordperfect and its built in Oxford dictionary.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 11 January 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Anyone compared this to darktable yet?
      Darktable also doesn't support Fuji raws (unless that was added very recently). Okok, I'll shut up now.

Comment

I for one welcome this photo editing software, even though I don't have a need for such a program myself.

Comment

Anyone that's into wedding photography or thinking of getting into it for a new business, or if you're simply a collector of pics and want better management, then this seems like a purchase.

Comment

1. Trying to market on Linux platform. Win.
            2. Applying same old pay-ware model. Fail.
            3. With crappy technical realisation. Fail.

3/1, FAiL
            but you can always try again.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              Anyone that's into wedding photography or thinking of getting into it for a new business, or if you're simply a collector of pics and want better management, then this seems like a purchase.
              I have refurbished 2300 (two thousand three hundred) 12mpix Alpha-500 shots from wedding using GIMP and Noise Ninja (Linux version) - ISO abberation correction, color correction, cropping, effects - in 1 night.
              You don?t need Corel software for this. They have to offer something, if they want to demand something.
              Last edited by crazycheese; 11 January 2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                I have refurbished 2300 (two thousand three hundred) 12mpix Alpha-500 shots from wedding using GIMP and Noise Ninja (Linux version) - ISO abberation correction, color correction, cropping, effects - in 1 night.
                You don?t need Corel software for this. They have to offer something, if they want to demand something.
                300 pics/hour?

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                  300 pics/hour?
                  Around that, yes.
                  :: I remember I did that in 23 hours, so its more ~2pictures/minute. Besides, it was multistepped - I edited only those who failed under sufficient-unique criteria in first pass.
                  60% were discarded rightaway for various reasons, mostly duplicate with closed eyes (I shoot series always, exactly for that reason).
                  Pictures originated from two dslr cameras: a500 and a700. End result was arould 6 GiBs ~900 shots.
                  Last edited by crazycheese; 11 January 2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    I shoot series always, exactly for that reason
                    I take it you're not using a flash then...

Anyway, I know many people don't get along with GIMP, so this is a refreshing addition. At $99 I'm tempted to buy it just to fund further development. Hell, Photomatix is $99 (w/o a coupon) and it only does HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Anyway, I know many people don't get along with GIMP, so this is a refreshing addition. At $99 I'm tempted to buy it just to fund further development. Hell, Photomatix is $99 (w/o a coupon) and it only does HDR.
                      Same here... But don't..

The reality is that the only reason this software runs on Linux is because Corel bought out the company that supported this software under Linux.. None of Corel's other software runs under Linux and to think that Corel will continue to support Linux regardless of how many sales they get on this product could be a big mistake... They might not have the staff or expertise to support this product under Linux, and might not have any plans to hire any since Corel has always been an all-Windows shop. The Linux support is probably just an added perk from the buy-out that they're planning on profiting from as much as possible and then dumping it afterwards..

Windows developers are both CHEAPER in salary and EASIER to find.. That's why Corel dumped Linux a while ago, and I'd expect them to do it again.
                      Last edited by Sidicas; 11 January 2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X