Cinnamon: Making The GNOME Shell Like GNOME2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Maybe they were fed up at how much memory gnome shell leaks when just moving the mouse over the menu for some time...
    Seriously, try it.
    Great. File a bug.

Comment

If this whole "you can customize the shell using Javascript and CSS" thing were truly robust, it would facilitate construction of both Gnome 2 and 3 style interfaces on top of it, like using alternate themes, and without having to fork. That's where we really need to be heading.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        If this whole "you can customize the shell using Javascript and CSS" thing were truly robust, it would facilitate construction of both Gnome 2 and 3 style interfaces on top of it, like using alternate themes, and without having to fork. That's where we really need to be heading.
        Well GS is still new code seeing alot of changes. But extensions.gnome.org have really many cool extensions. Also for people who wants something more GNOME2ish.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
          I think the MATE people would resent you calling gnome2 outdated. They plan to mantain gnome 2 including metacity and everything under the gnome toolkit version 3.
          It *is* outdated. That's why the people who wrote it aren't supporting it anymore - having learned from experience that some parts of Gnome and Gtk+ were badly designed and hard to maintain, they threw those parts away in the process of creating Gnome 3.

And so yes - the bits MATE are maintaining are the bits the original developers discarded as mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            It *is* outdated. That's why the people who wrote it aren't supporting it anymore - having learned from experience that some parts of Gnome and Gtk+ were badly designed and hard to maintain, they threw those parts away in the process of creating Gnome 3.

And so yes - the bits MATE are maintaining are the bits the original developers discarded as mistakes.
            Cascade of Attention Deficit Teenagers is why GNOME 3 exists.

What I do want to know is what RHEL 7 will be doing. There's no way they could stick GNOME 3 in it as it exists now. Unless they're trying to go out of business...

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. MATE is already doomed. Look at Ohloh. At GNOME2s prime it had around 200 active commiters keeping track of a multimillion LOC code base. Many talented people with deep knowledge about the code. Even many paid full time.

MATE? a few guys doing a few commits while having beers and pizza in the basement. Mostly moving stuff around and renaming. When 200 talented people decide its time to move on, then 2 free time basement hackers can do nothing. This is just building up momentum for the most hilarious fork&fail ever. Here is a .gif for you to show the MATEs future. http://i.imgur.com/Gmh39.gif "funny idea, then downhill, then boooom...."

Yeah we all know Clem at Mint is pushing it. Why? Because it scratches an itch for haters&ranters unable to adapt to changes forced by a new Shell. Clem is doing nothing but giving them what they want and not what the future is all about. You can do alot of crazy stuff on GNOME3 with extensions.gnome.org or random extensions from the nets.

Today marks another attempt to save those old habit hung dudes. Lets hope for some succes.
              Actually, I'd argue that GNOME 2 and GTK+ 2 are fairly feature complete and quite stable. GTK+ 2 will be maintained for at least several more years, as will GNOME 2. Both of the major enterprise Linux distributions are using GNOME 2, as is Debian Squeeze which will be maintained for quite some time to come (Until Wheezy +1 is out), and so are many other people. It's not going to go away overnight and what will end up happening is that MATE can be a collection of distribution patches against GNOME 2. They won't have to worry about doing the lion's share of maintenance for at least another 7-8 years. By that time, hopefully GNOME will have come to their senses and have something that isn't utter crap.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                Cascade of Attention Deficit Teenagers is why GNOME 3 exists.

What I do want to know is what RHEL 7 will be doing. There's no way they could stick GNOME 3 in it as it exists now. Unless they're trying to go out of business...
                I think you may be overestimating their desktop contracts, though I'm sure they have some.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. MATE is already doomed. Look at Ohloh. At GNOME2s prime it had around 200 active commiters keeping track of a multimillion LOC code base. Many talented people with deep knowledge about the code. Even many paid full time.

MATE? a few guys doing a few commits while having beers and pizza in the basement. Mostly moving stuff around and renaming. When 200 talented people decide its time to move on, then 2 free time basement hackers can do nothing. This is just building up momentum for the most hilarious fork&fail ever. Here is a .gif for you to show the MATEs future. http://i.imgur.com/Gmh39.gif "funny idea, then downhill, then boooom...."

Yeah we all know Clem at Mint is pushing it. Why? Because it scratches an itch for haters&ranters unable to adapt to changes forced by a new Shell. Clem is doing nothing but giving them what they want and not what the future is all about. You can do alot of crazy stuff on GNOME3 with extensions.gnome.org or random extensions from the nets.

Today marks another attempt to save those old habit hung dudes. Lets hope for some success.

It is ambition, on the other hand, just because 200 talented decide to its time to move on, doesn't mean all their previous effort disappears.

Nostalgia is a pretty strong feeling, I guess. And 200 programmers with absolutely no disagreement between each other? Or 200 hundred human beings at all? Really?

It's almost just as big of stretch. It fuels my theory that maybe even people within GNOME aren't wholly happy with the new interface. Ghostwriters aren't impossible, is what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Any links besides github? Like a discussion thread? Feature list? etc.?

Comment

i look forward to cinnamon.

until then i very happy that there are few people putting in some effort so that gnome2 is still usable on modern distros. Just because gnome 3 exists, does not mean that gnome 2 is suddenly broken. Just because BTRFS exists does not mean all the distros should drop ext4.

Comment

Working...
                      X