• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Phoronix: Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Razor-Qt is a new Qt-based desktop environment for Linux systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyOTg

• Nobu
    replied
    Fedora 16, 64-bit.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by cochise View Post
    Total = 56,8 ≃ 100 MB less than a striped plasma.
    I mean the entire system with 160Mt (Linux, window manager, system services etc. etc. etc.)...

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by cochise View Post
    razor-desktop = 25,7 MB
    razor-panel = 17,7 MB
    razor Runner = 9,9 MB
    razor-session = 3,5 MB

Can be better, i guess.

The plasma itself is a simple hood, and 160 MB is a lot ofr this.

I still using kwin. Is the best WM ever (and take 65 MB os RAM) And i like nepomuk. Is the lightweit dektop indexes. Searching how start nepomuk without kde.
    Those numbers are huge. Plasma takes about 60MB in my 64bit Kubuntu and kwin takes about 30MB. You're probably hitting some memory leaks. Binary blobs, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    @ Nobu,

Out of curiosity, which distro are you using?

Leave a comment:

• cochise
    replied
    razor-desktop = 25,7 MB
    razor-panel = 17,7 MB
    razor Runner = 9,9 MB
    razor-session = 3,5 MB

Can be better, i guess.

The plasma itself is a simple hood, and 160 MB is a lot ofr this.

I still using kwin. Is the best WM ever (and take 65 MB os RAM) And i like nepomuk. Is the lightweit dektop indexes. Searching how start nepomuk without kde.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    Sure, just thought I'd expound on the problem a bit. See my previous post about (kmail) memory usage (in bold, and a bit more at the end of the paragraph).

Edit: In my last post, where I said "it was reasonable" I was referring to kmail's own memory usage, not all of the processes.
    Last edited by Nobu; 12-23-2011, 01:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    When I can open kmail and get similar memory usage, I'll probably switch back from evolution and liferea. But right now, it's just not reasonable.
    The idea was to clarify if just a bit why Nepomuk&Akonadi is the way to go and by no means to undermine the fact that KMail2 is quite broken. It seems that if there's a lot of memory avaible Akonadi will use it to cache stuff that's not really needed. That kinda messes up the linux memory management and makes little to no sense.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    Teho,

I understand where you're coming from but, on my desktop, as soon as I start kmail my memory is quickly consumed. Whereas I can have Chrome, Evolution, and Liferea open at once and still have 422MiB free (911MiB if you include caches & buffers) and 149MiB swapped, with just kmail and Chrome open the desktop slows to a crawl due to swapping (Edit: memory usage more or less doubles: 72MiB free, 477MiB if you include caches & buffers). I had the same Gmail account in both kmail and evolution, with near 26k messages. Evolution uses only 110m res, 20m shr (according to top), just for reference. Memory is spread between several processes when using kmail; it was pretty reasonable at 191m res, 31m shr, but virtual memory was almost double, at over 2000m (what does that mean, what is virtual memory?).

When I can open kmail and get similar memory usage, I'll probably switch back from evolution and liferea. But right now, it's just not reasonable.
    Last edited by Nobu; 12-23-2011, 01:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    There's definitely room for a Qt-based light old-fashioned DE (or just a WM?) that does not need and use the KDE technologies like akonadi and stuff. But still looks KDE-ish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X