X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Just out of curiosity; are there any icon themes you like? As long as the theme is avaible in SVGs porting it shouldn't be that difficult.
    There are some in gnome-look that are really good. On my computer i use a custom one i designed from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Something tells me that some people who say that it's ugly are talking about GTK, and not Qt applications, which use an entirely different framework. And even that can be configured to match the Qt theme at least partially with the kcm_gtk package.

And lightweight desktops are useful also for embedded systems, like x86 tablets, that don't have all that much power.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Even thought themes and icons are easy to change making a good one is massive work and requires talented people.
    Just out of curiosity; are there any icon themes you like? As long as the theme is avaible in SVGs porting it shouldn't be that difficult.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    I guess we are lucky then that they are as easy to change as it possibly can be. In my opinion Oxygen is at least the best of the default themes included in any of the free desktop even though it suffers from inconsisency because of the recent updates to the folder and mimetype icons (which then again are better than the old ones). What comes to the applications themselves I just can't see the problem; there are some flaws here ("fonts" for example) and there but the fact that elements can be moved and removed make it possible to create extremely simplistic but usable UIs without any effort.
    Even thought themes and icons are easy to change making a good one is massive work and requires talented people. In gnome things are much worst than KDE. People that design the Tango should be shot.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Actually the theme and icons are part of the problem.
    I guess we are lucky then that they are as easy to change as it possibly can be. In my opinion Oxygen is at least the best of the default themes included in any of the free desktop even though it suffers from inconsisency because of the recent updates to the folder and mimetype icons (which then again are better than the old ones). What comes to the applications themselves I just can't see the problem; there are some flaws here ("fonts" for example) and there but the fact that elements can be moved and removed make it possible to create extremely simplistic but usable UIs without any effort.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Most people that say KDE is "ugly" aren't referring to the theme and icons.
    Actually the theme and icons are part of the problem. They seem like they 've been designed by someone who tried to put all the "cool visual bits" in one place. Lacks elegance.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Interesting statement, considering that Razor copies KDE themes verbatim.
    It even seems to copy the concept of Plasma widgets (see 2nd screenshot under http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/20...er-qt-desktop/ )

Personally I don't see the point of Razor when it's just Plasma Desktop minus many convenient features but whatever. I wish them luck anyway. Razor is expanding the Qt ecosystem which is something I like.
    this desktop looks much less cluttered than KDE. KDE suffers from a very inconsistent UI with options scattered everywhere, weird/inconsistant text placement/alignment. Most people that say KDE is "ugly" aren't referring to the theme and icons.

For example compare the dialogue to add widgets in razor QT to the one in KDE4. Much cleaner in razor (and looks similar to the dialogue for adding panel applets in gnome/xfce)
    Last edited by bwat47; 19 December 2011, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    plasma is useless

kde is bloated and bugged, more problems than improvement in my workflow

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    No, then you haven't read anything in the comments nor on their site.
    It's not even using plasma! (A mistake if you ask me, but a fact)
    Dude, before you accuse me of not reading, learn to read yourself.
    I never wrote Razor is using Plasma. I wrote that Razor adapts the concept of Plasma and uses a port of Plasma's theme.

Leave a comment:

• hal2k1
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Cool! I'd never heard of this one. I really like Qt, but I can't stand KDE. I've never tried using it for more than hours at a time, but it's just so ugly and I can't get past it. This one looked nice!
    Fortunately the exact opposite appears to be the conclusion most sane people are coming to.

"KDE Doesn’t Suck Anymore, People Finally Realize"

What's the best Linux desktop environment? The case for KDE.

What's the best Linux desktop environment? Conclusion is KDE.

"When all's said and done, though, every one of our testers was floored by KDE 4.7 across all devices. "

"KDE atm is simply breathtaking, both in usability and in appearance. "
    Last edited by hal2k1; 19 December 2011, 03:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X