Razor-Qt: A New Qt-Based Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I can't stand KDE. (...) it's just so ugly and I can't get past it. This one looked nice!
    Interesting statement, considering that Razor copies KDE themes verbatim.
    It even seems to copy the concept of Plasma widgets (see 2nd screenshot under http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/20...er-qt-desktop/ )

Personally I don't see the point of Razor when it's just Plasma Desktop minus many convenient features but whatever. I wish them luck anyway. Razor is expanding the Qt ecosystem which is something I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      It even seems to copy the concept of Plasma widgets (see 2nd screenshot under http://blog.elektronik-projekt.de/20...er-qt-desktop/ )

Personally I don't see the point of Razor when it's just Plasma Desktop minus many convenient features but whatever. I wish them luck anyway. Razor is expanding the Qt ecosystem which is something I like.
      No, then you haven't read anything in the comments nor on their site.
      It's not even using plasma! (A mistake if you ask me, but a fact)

The way this is working is simply a Qt system of some applications (a desktop, a panel and a few others) that "uses" the Qt decoration theme that is currently set along with the icons. Nothing from KDE.

Comment

Interesting, but I find that once I tweak KDE4 to work how I want, it's been working extremely well for me since about 4.6 (I'm on F16 now so I'm running 4.7.4). I run KDE4 on a big dual-monitor desktop and I need every last convenience feature and productivity aid I can find.

Maybe Razor-Qt would be useful on Android as a replacement for the default Android shell? I mean, no, not for phones, but maybe for things like the Asus Transformer, where you can actually get a full-sized keyboard, or for the ThinkPad Tablet where you have a keyboard, a stylus, and multitouch. "Necessitas" is a full fledged Qt port to Android, and uses Android's native graphics system for rendering (but not native Android widgets, hence why it's Qt; it supports QtGui). With it, you can do things like run the "desktop" version of Quassel on Android (I've actually done this and published an apk for it).

So someone who doesn't want to completely abandon the Android platform (downsides include losing 3d acceleration, etc, because all the 3d drivers for Android devices only work with the Android graphics subsystem) can design a Qt desktop that resembles Linux but is a bit lighter to fit on a tablet.

Hmm.

Sounds like this really could be interesting. To make it really useful, though, you'd have to integrate *some* features of Android (such as software installation), and probably devise a way to run an Android app while keeping your Razor taskbar on the screen. Not saying that's possible now, but it's certainly one direction that Razor could take in the future.

As for desktops and x86 full-fat laptops with >= 4GB RAM and open source graphics drivers on top of X.Org... meh. I say keep using KDE4 or Gnome2 or Gnome3. No need to go "light".

Comment

It would be interesting if it was integrated into Plasma Active for even better performance, although PA already has some nice performance optimisations.
          And yes, it's always nice to see new Qt projects. Given that's it's only 0.4.0, I'd assume that some of the issues are still being ironed out there.

As for KDE being 'ugly'... You are talking about KDE3, perhaps? Because KDE4 is both extremely customisable and looks awesome out of the box as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            It would be interesting if it was integrated into Plasma Active for even better performance, although PA already has some nice performance optimisations.
            And yes, it's always nice to see new Qt projects. Given that's it's only 0.4.0, I'd assume that some of the issues are still being ironed out there.
            It is a bit like the IceWM desktop but for Qt-based, rather than GTK-based applications, I suppose. It leaves a lot out compared to a full-featured desktop such as KDE. This doesn't mean there is no place for it, just as it isn't the case that there is no place for IceWM. Because of their lack of features, such lightweight desktops may be useful on old and very under-resourced machines. Running a full-featured desktop such as GNOME or KDE isn't really viable on the oldest, most under-resourced of machines (say Windows 98, Windows ME vintage).

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            As for KDE being 'ugly'... You are talking about KDE3, perhaps? Because KDE4 is both extremely customisable and looks awesome out of the box as well.
            There is an Internet meme going around where Apple/Windows fanbois join forums, pretend to be Linux users, and bash KDE. It makes as much sense as flat-earthers, I suppose. Don't worry about it, it means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              Cool! I'd never heard of this one. I really like Qt, but I can't stand KDE. I've never tried using it for more than hours at a time, but it's just so ugly and I can't get past it. This one looked nice!
              Fortunately the exact opposite appears to be the conclusion most sane people are coming to.

"KDE Doesn’t Suck Anymore, People Finally Realize"

What's the best Linux desktop environment? The case for KDE.

What's the best Linux desktop environment? Conclusion is KDE.

"When all's said and done, though, every one of our testers was floored by KDE 4.7 across all devices. "

"KDE atm is simply breathtaking, both in usability and in appearance. "
              Last edited by hal2k1; 19 December 2011, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                No, then you haven't read anything in the comments nor on their site.
                It's not even using plasma! (A mistake if you ask me, but a fact)
                Dude, before you accuse me of not reading, learn to read yourself.
                I never wrote Razor is using Plasma. I wrote that Razor adapts the concept of Plasma and uses a port of Plasma's theme.

Comment

plasma is useless

kde is bloated and bugged, more problems than improvement in my workflow

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

this desktop looks much less cluttered than KDE. KDE suffers from a very inconsistent UI with options scattered everywhere, weird/inconsistant text placement/alignment. Most people that say KDE is "ugly" aren't referring to the theme and icons.

For example compare the dialogue to add widgets in razor QT to the one in KDE4. Much cleaner in razor (and looks similar to the dialogue for adding panel applets in gnome/xfce)
                    Last edited by bwat47; 19 December 2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      Most people that say KDE is "ugly" aren't referring to the theme and icons.
                      Actually the theme and icons are part of the problem. They seem like they 've been designed by someone who tried to put all the "cool visual bits" in one place. Lacks elegance.

Comment

Working...
                      X