Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Phoronix: GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Epiphany, the web-browser for the GNOME desktop, is receiving a rather significant facelift as it becomes more important to the GNOME3 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So now instead of one click with the old tabbed browsing interface, we need to not only click 2x as much, but we need to navigate a full screen of thumbnails to find the page we want.. how is this easier?

Comment

epiphany already sucks anyways. most people use firefox/chrome/opera anyway, and if you really need better gtk integration use midori.

Comment

Personally, I use Konqueror for most of my browsing. I say go for it with trying to prove you don't need to be Apple or Mozilla to put together a decent web browser!

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
          So now instead of one click with the old tabbed browsing interface, we need to not only click 2x as much, but we need to navigate a full screen of thumbnails to find the page we want.. how is this easier?
          It's a trend also in Unity & Gnome 3 where they sacrifice ease of use in favor of design, style & beauty, which imo is wrong, because "usability" (as in "easy and quick") must always be top priority well above design, beauty and style.
          Plus, the drive to use a lowest common denominator (for tablets, phones & desktops) makes usability as a whole even worse, at least on desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            if you really need better gtk integration use midori.
            I think that this is an important point. The only way for Epiphany to go foward is to radically apart from the other browsers as we already have so many of them with Midori being a perfect replacement for those who liked the old-Epiphany. The less-popular browsers have the most freedom to expireiment as they don't have many to disapoint. I think that Gnome is doing overall a good job on this matter. Elementary (and other alternative Gnome apps) used to have very similar desing goals as the offical Gnome apps. Not anymore. Thanks to that we have less dublication of applications and more real choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              I think that this is an important point. The only way for Epiphany to go foward is to radically apart from the other browsers as we already have so many of them with Midori being a perfect replacement for those who liked the old-Epiphany. The less-popular browsers have the most freedom to expireiment as they don't have many to disapoint. I think that Gnome is doing overall a good job on this matter. Elementary (and other alternative Gnome apps) used to have very similar desing goals as the offical Gnome apps. Not anymore. Thanks to that we have less dublication of applications and more real choice.
              Yeah, thats what I was thinking when I saw this new mockup. they are just trying to differentiate the browser, because right now its pretty redundant. I think it looks interesting, some people will probably like it quite a bit. Controlling tabs with ctrl tab looks like it will work pretty well. Could be a really nice minimalist netbook/touchpad type browser. Not the type of browser I'd use, but I bet half the people complaining about this mockup don't even use epiphany in the first place
              Last edited by bwat47; 05 December 2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks the dear God that nether Chrome nor Firefox are owned by Gnome.
                They can do whatever shit they like with their Epiphany and be the sole users of it.
                If fact eventually Gnome developers/designers will be left to became sole users of it.
                And then we users will be finally happy with user friendly software and recall the
                mad Gnome days when you had to pray everyday that they keep that or that feature that you really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                  If fact eventually Gnome developers/designers will be left to became sole users of it.
                  And then we users will be finally happy with user friendly software and recall the
                  mad Gnome days when you had to pray everyday that they keep that or that feature that you really need.
                  That's the most stupid thing I have heard in a while. First of all there are many people who like the direction that Gnome is taking but that aside how can a failure of unrelated project be a prerequisite for one to enjoy userfriendly software? If you don't like Gnome don't use it. There are more than a few altrernatives for just about any kind of an app for Linux. You could also sometimes take in consideration the fact that your opinions aren't necessarily widely accepted and big projects like Gnome aren't designed only you in mind.

Comment

And the point of this is? Wasted effort just like Konqueror? No extensions to strip sites of ad crap and confound tracking systems = absolutely useless.

Comment

Working...
                    X