Mozilla Firefox 8.0 In The Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    When it renders big black boxes instead of Flash, pisses all over your system settings, acts as a keylogger for Google, and runs as root (like Chrome), you'll be happy?
    Chrome runs as root??? Not for me.
    You clearly have issues I've never had.... perhaps due to your crazy "run as root" setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
      You clearly have issues I've never had.... perhaps due to your crazy "run as root" setup?
      Likely he referred to having to use administrator rights to install it in Windows (due to Chrome installing window services), which isn't necessary with Firefox on windows.

As for 'par with Chrome', I can only disagree as I find Firefox to be a much better browser package overall. However, that's all about preference.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        As for 'par with Chrome', I can only disagree as I find Firefox to be a much better browser package overall. However, that's all about preference.
        To some degree its subjective such when it comes to features (like the new twitter feature) and gui design.
        Yet to a large degree web browsers can be judged on aspects such as speed and firefox is not on a par.

Comment

Odd, one of the selling points of Fx 8 is that it's 20% faster than Fx 5 and on par with Chrome 14.

Comment

Code:
            -rw[b]s[/b]r-xr-x 1 root root    14008 Oct 26 04:13 chrome-sandbox
            Yet to a large degree web browsers can be judged on aspects such as speed and firefox is not on a par.
            Once the number of tabs goes into triple digits, I found Chrome even slower than Firefox.
            Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 09 November 2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Can't say I've noticed any speed differences between Chrome and Firefox, is this while using some particular web tech? On the other hand I've noticed that Chrome uses a ton more memory than Firefox when I have 10+ pages open.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                Once the number of tabs goes into triple digits, I found Chrome even slower than Firefox.
                Maybe your using a system with very little ram. I ran the peacekeepers benchmark beta (yes I know not real world but should show up some evidence of additional tabs resulting in a speed bug) on chrome on my atom netbook with 2 gig ram with a range of 5 additional pages open including phoronix, youtube and others and it scored 490 without the extra tabs it scored 493.
                Last edited by Nevertime; 09 November 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  And? API/ABI broken? How many addons broke? Nothing works anymore? Asa Dotzler threatening to ban people who just dislike the idea of having no version numbers anymore?
                  Automated upgrades if you want or not?
                  Not to mention new security holes.
                  And: why all this social media integration? Does anybody really make use of it? Can we build the browser without twitter stuff and so on? Twitter is 90% noise and maybe 10% relevant information.

FF is going down the drain if they continue like this.
                  Stop being such a dramaqueen. I am so sick of this absurd QQing about the new release cycle. Its called a time-based release cycle, get over it. Its not about the version number, and my addons have been working fine since ff4.

I much prefer the new cycle tbh, the old one caused firefox to become far too stagnant compared to the competition. Firefox 3 was so behind the other browsers in regards to speed and the interface until 4 came out, and now they are doing a good job of getting improvements and features to the users faster.

I never heard this complaining about chrome's release cycle, in fact it was recieved very well.

Comment

Tried FF8 on Archlinux few days ago and quickly reverted back to FF7 after seeing the latest release consuming more than 2 GB of RAM. I suspect hardware acceleration being the main source of such memory leaks though. FF7 with acceleration disabled currently uses 133 MB. I can live without that hardware stuff because even now hwaccel test shows 60+ fps. They probably use XRender for that.

Comment

Maybe your using a system with very little ram.
                      8 GB. Firefox uses about 2 of those with over 200 tabs. Chrome when I tested it reached that with under 50, and was more sluggish than Firefox. No benchmarks, just my subjective feeling that I was more annoyed using Chrome than Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                      X