Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 4.8 Boosts Speed, Power Management

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 4.8 Boosts Speed, Power Management

KDE's Aaron Seigo has a new blog post to share about improvements to Plasma Workspaces in the forthcoming KDE Software Compilation 4.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about finally fixing the default plasma-desktop so that it doesn't segfault all the time? It seemed to be quite good in 4.7.[0-2] but with 4.7.3 it is already as bad as before.

I use the open source radeon driver on a HD 6550 and I really welcome the performance fixes. At the moment I don't use the compositing at all because I don't want kwin to idle at 10-15% cpu and I don't want it to need > 25% cpu just to display a non-moving firefox. OpenGL 2 Shaders are not feasible to activate: While moving windows they really, really lag behind the mouse pointer.
    On the "mid" power profile the desktop effects are quite horrible on OpenGL and OpenGL ES 2.0 and usable on XRender. When switching to the raster graphics system OpenGL finally looks quite well, but the cpu usage is really not nice, even when idling.

It's a bit sad to see such an advanced window manager still fighting with this sort of performance problems but hopefully 4.8 will fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      How about finally fixing the default plasma-desktop so that it doesn't segfault all the time? It seemed to be quite good in 4.7.[0-2] but with 4.7.3 it is already as bad as before.

I use the open source radeon driver on a HD 6550 and I really welcome the performance fixes. At the moment I don't use the compositing at all because I don't want kwin to idle at 10-15% cpu and I don't want it to need > 25% cpu just to display a non-moving firefox. OpenGL 2 Shaders are not feasible to activate: While moving windows they really, really lag behind the mouse pointer.
      On the "mid" power profile the desktop effects are quite horrible on OpenGL and OpenGL ES 2.0 and usable on XRender. When switching to the raster graphics system OpenGL finally looks quite well, but the cpu usage is really not nice, even when idling.

It's a bit sad to see such an advanced window manager still fighting with this sort of performance problems but hopefully 4.8 will fix this.
      Segfaults?!

Since KDE 4.2, it has never segfaulted on me. Never. Submit a bug report to the relevant maintainer.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        Segfaults?!

Since KDE 4.2, it has never segfaulted on me. Never. Submit a bug report to the relevant maintainer.
        Goto bugs.kde.org and search for "plasma crash" or "plasma segfault" or something.
        Since quite some time there is the problem with plasma crashing on logout. You notice it when after clicking "logout", your screen turns blask, then plasma-desktop pops up again (or just drkonqi).
        Various problems with corrupt cache get reported.
        Sometimes notifications crash the desktop.
        And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
          Goto bugs.kde.org and search for "plasma crash" or "plasma segfault" or something.
          Since quite some time there is the problem with plasma crashing on logout. You notice it when after clicking "logout", your screen turns blask, then plasma-desktop pops up again (or just drkonqi).
          Various problems with corrupt cache get reported.
          Sometimes notifications crash the desktop.
          And so on.
          Simply, many bugs are hardware related.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Simply, many bugs are hardware related.
            That doesn't make them easier to put up with as a user

Comment

Segfaults?!

Since KDE 4.2, it has never segfaulted on me.
              That's always been my main complaint about KDE. WORKSFORME seems to be their primary bug tracking strategy. I'm glad it works for you. It just doesn't work for the rest of us.

Yeah. KDE segfaults a lot. I use a mix of XFCE, LXDE, and GNOME, and they work pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by sbergman27 View Post
                That's always been my main complaint about KDE. WORKSFORME seems to be their primary bug tracking strategy. I'm glad it works for you. It just doesn't work for the rest of us.
                It works for a lot of people. Yes, some people have problems, but it seems to be a vocal minority, not "the rest of us".

Originally posted by sbergman27 View Post
                Yeah. KDE segfaults a lot. I use a mix of XFCE, LXDE, and GNOME, and they work pretty well.
                The only time I ever get segfaults is on shutting down or rebooting. Obviously that should be fixed, but it doesn't interfere with my work or anyone elses'.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  It works for a lot of people. Yes, some people have problems, but it seems to be a vocal minority, not "the rest of us". The only time I ever get segfaults is on shutting down or rebooting.
                  What a wonderful illustration of my point. Thank you. Some projects aim to have their software work for everyone. Others take a more pragmatic view and aim for 99.9%. But if I'm reading you right, a mere majority is fine for KDE.

Obviously that should be fixed, but it doesn't interfere with my work or anyone elses'.
                  So KDE doesn't realy work right, even for you. But you're OK with that.

Comment

Segfaults?!

I use grouping of the entries in the taskbar. plasma crashes most often when closing multiple windows at once. But I think it also happened when closing single windows.

Another problem with closing something: Akregator likes to segfault when closing a tabbed browser window. Also, it still occassionally duplicates entries from one feed into another feed. Maybe it has something to do with fefe's feed but then akregator needs to work around that problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X