Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Use something like Flashvideoreplacer
    I didn't know of this add-on. Just tried it and it works. Unfortunately, Flash subtitles don't work with it. Neither do annotations. Playlists also don't work. But I think I'm keeping it nonetheless.

LOL, I can see RealNC (et al) 10 years from now... "Flash 111.1 just came out, but the plugin won't play my Super Ultra HD videos, even on my 512-core 3.0 THz system!"
    Well, Flash 10.3 works perfectly fine here. I'm commenting on the new, improved and totally useless Flash 11

Edit:
    Oh, embedded YouTube videos in other websites also don't work with Flashvideoreplacer. Damn.
    Last edited by RealNC; 27 October 2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The nvidia vdpau support in the new 11.2 test release allows accellerated video rendering again not only decoding like 11.0. Accellerated video decoding via opengl with oss drivers using the OverrideGPUValidation=1 setting in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg does not work, but worked in 10.3. Well basically it is a good idea to try at least for nvidia users...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Doesn't work for me. YT continues to use Flash for the videos, even though I use FF 7.0.1 and that page says that the video tag and WebM are supported.
        Have you clicked on "Join the HTML5 Trial"? Restart browser afterwards.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        It is getting easier to get by entirely without flash.
        But just an FYI to some people who don't get it (pejakm).... videos are NOT the part of flash you can't get by without. There are a lot of websites that use flash for navigation or other essential features. Videos can easily be done without -- no big deal.

Also pejakm: I've never seen a flash crash take down X. Firefox for sure, but that's as far as it makes it. If given multiple cores though, it could potentially peg them all and make it a miserable operation to kill it.
        I perfectly understand that, and I can live without those stupid sites. And yes, stupid flashplugin did happen to crash both my X server and graphical display drivers (mesa 3D).

Then what's the point? I need to be able to watch the videos I want. Uninstalling Flash would make that impossible.
        Support for all videos in YouTube is on its way. Until then, you have tools such as youtube-dl or minitube.

Comment

The previous version of flash crashed on me just now
          figured i'd use the opportunity to try out this new version

Comment

Well, Flash 10.3 works perfectly fine here.
            Oh, that's good. I can't keep track of the Flash releases, and I don't watch a lot of streaming video using Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
              Have you clicked on "Join the HTML5 Trial"? Restart browser afterwards.
              Still doesn't work. But I think that's because none of the videos I watched were offered in WebM.

Support for all videos in YouTube is on its way. Until then, you have tools such as youtube-dl or minitube.
              Nah, these suck. When I get a YT link, I need to view it when I click on it.

Comment

Still doesn't work. But I think that's because none of the videos I watched were offered in WebM.
                Try this one, I've just watched it using HTML5 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRp6ftphQo

Nah, these suck. When I get a YT link, I need to view it when I click on it.
                Actually I was referring to youtube-viewer: you can just pass a link to it or search terms and it plays video using mplayer. Also, I've set it up with opera: I'm using a userscript which adds new button ("Watch video") to a YouTube video page. Clicking on the button will trigger youtube-viewer to start playing the video (in mplayer). And minitube is a program to watch YouTube videos, but also you can download them.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
                  Try this one, I've just watched it using HTML5 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRp6ftphQo
                  Yep, that one works. But playback sucks here Fullscreen doesn't work with the button. It works when I use F11 to put Firefox itself in fullscreen mode. But the video is tearing badly in fullscreen.

HTML5 is not ready yet. At least on Linux.

Actually I was referring to youtube-viewer: you can just pass a link to it or search terms and it plays video using mplayer. Also, I've set it up with opera: I'm using a userscript which adds new button ("Watch video") to a YouTube video page. Clicking on the button will trigger youtube-viewer to start playing the video (in mplayer). And minitube is a program to watch YouTube videos, but also you can download them.
                  It's not very useful for me. I don't get to see the YouTube site that way (video description, related videos, bitrate selection, comments, etc.)

Comment

Okay, first youtube videos in general, and now youtube comments. I demand to know where you find value in the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Okay, first youtube videos in general, and now youtube comments. I demand to know where you find value in the latter.
                      Answering questions about videos I upload, or commenting on a friend's video. Stuff like that. (I'm not interested in brain-dead comments on Nyan cat videos.) Annotations are also very important. I often need to watch lectures from various universities, and annotations are used for errata.

Comment

Working...
                      X