X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    unpatched *standards-compliant, bug-free* applications? Sure. If there ever was such a thing.

Browsing through the small list of patches, it appears that many of these fix bugs in LibreOffice, where the code relies on gcc's quirks or gcc's acceptance of non-standard code.

At least one of them is clearly a workaround due to llvm bugs. Then again, do you know how many workarounds due to gcc bugs LO's codebase contains?
    So you saying Clang/LLVM is using strict interpretations of how code's to be compiled vs gcc? So then these patches are quite instructive to the gcc team as these patches point out some quirks within gcc itself that need to be addressed.

I'm sure there are bugs in gcc and application and kernel developers work around them, and same thing would apply for LLVM's own quirks and bugs...so yes you are right

However altering code due to compiler bugs should be ideally kept to a minimum
    Last edited by DeepDayze; 22 October 2011, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I would say Clang/LLVM would be really feature-complete if it can properly compile *unpatched* applications.
    unpatched *standards-compliant, bug-free* applications? Sure. If there ever was such a thing.

Browsing through the small list of patches, it appears that many of these fix bugs in LibreOffice, where the code relies on gcc's quirks or gcc's acceptance of non-standard code.

At least one of them is clearly a workaround due to llvm bugs. Then again, do you know how many workarounds due to gcc bugs LO's codebase contains?

Leave a comment:

• Pfanne
    replied
    i would classify this as bugs ans not missing features

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    I would say Clang/LLVM would be really feature-complete if it can properly compile *unpatched* applications. Having to apply patches to application or kernel code to make it properly compile on Clang/LLVM sounds to me like it still isn't quite ready.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic LLVM/Clang Can Build LibreOffice

LLVM/Clang Can Build LibreOffice

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang Can Build LibreOffice

Clang, the C/C++ compiler for LLVM, can now build a patched version of LibreOffice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X