replied
    Originally posted by prophet5 View Post
    I'm good with that... as long as it's all legally obtained
    You mean there is some other way they can be obtained? :O

Leave a comment:

• prophet5
    replied
    Heh, again most of that could be resolved with another cheap DVD player
    Lol. I'm good Got my install of Mint 10.04 with vlc. Works great. Ok so it boots in 20 - 30 seconds instead of 5. Not too much of a biggie for me. Put in disc: auto play - straight to the menu - play movie or browse the special features - all good

I've set Mint to have nothing on the desktop so it isn't so much like using a computer, but I do really like xbmc's interface I must say. (Oh and for those who want to do it this way don't use any Ubuntu based distro past 10.04. DVD's don't mount; or even show up; automatically. Some users have had the problem on 10.04 as well. Works for me though)

Personally I haven't touched a DVD player in years and I expect most of the XBMC crowd doesn't play DVD's (most dump or rip them to another format)
    I'm good with that... as long as it's all legally obtained

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Valid point D, and I do have a stand alone dvd unit. I have to manually adjust the aspect ratio for every single disc despite what I set the dvd player to in order to match my tv, and the remote interferes with my other equipment. Press skip and the tv changes channel and the amp goes up 3dB
    Heh, again most of that could be resolved with another cheap DVD player. Personally I haven't touched a DVD player in years and I expect most of the XBMC crowd doesn't play DVD's (most dump or rip them to another format) anymore either so I doesn't surprise me that there isn't much effort being put into DVD playback anymore.

Leave a comment:

• prophet5
    replied
    If all you play is DVD's then wouldn't it be just be easier and cheaper to grab a $20 DVD player?
    Valid point D, and I do have a stand alone dvd unit. I have to manually adjust the aspect ratio for every single disc despite what I set the dvd player to in order to match my tv, and the remote interferes with my other equipment. Press skip and the tv changes channel and the amp goes up 3dB

It was less of a pita to build a htpc; plus I like the idea of skipping all those lame previews, self promotion (how many times do you have mention it's a Disney DVD) and constant piracy ear bashing

I'm investigating how to replace xbmc's dvdplayer with vlc. The wiki says it can be done.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    All I want is decent DVD playback. I don't care if it plays AVI, WMV, PVR or drags the weather report in or a constant stream of useless information or whatever. XBMC has great potential, BUT they HAVE to get DVD playback working properly. I have a disc that will freeze XBMC every time; and it's not a new title. Every version of XBMC I've used has done the same thing with this disc. Menu skipping is not constant with dvd's either. Some discs will freeze XBMC when it's enabled, and others freeze XBMC when it isn't. File a bug report I hear someone mumble.... many people have already: years ago.

And now thanks to Paramount and the "Thor" copy protection scheme, XBMC won't even try to play this dvd. Nor will Xine or Mplayer. Yes there is a libdvdread4 patch to fix this, but for me only vlc works with this patch applied. One more issue for XBMC's dvd playback.
    If all you play is DVD's then wouldn't it be just be easier and cheaper to grab a $20 DVD player?

Leave a comment:

• prophet5
    replied
    All I want is decent DVD playback. I don't care if it plays AVI, WMV, PVR or drags the weather report in or a constant stream of useless information or whatever. XBMC has great potential, BUT they HAVE to get DVD playback working properly. I have a disc that will freeze XBMC every time; and it's not a new title. Every version of XBMC I've used has done the same thing with this disc. Menu skipping is not constant with dvd's either. Some discs will freeze XBMC when it's enabled, and others freeze XBMC when it isn't. File a bug report I hear someone mumble.... many people have already: years ago.

And now thanks to Paramount and the "Thor" copy protection scheme, XBMC won't even try to play this dvd. Nor will Xine or Mplayer. Yes there is a libdvdread4 patch to fix this, but for me only vlc works with this patch applied. One more issue for XBMC's dvd playback.

Leave a comment:

• M1AU
    replied
    Originally posted by ajayrockrock View Post
    There are some funky ways to get justin.tv working but they are all kinda hack-ish IMO. I bought a boxee box a while ago and that works great for justin.tv as well as watching MLG for starcraft.
    Yea it looks like kinda hack-ish. Well a Boxee Box would work and I had it on my buy list, but back then it was just to expensive with around ?230,-. As the price was dropped lately maybe I have to consider it again.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by runrun View Post
    It is now... They've done their fair share of borrowing code - It's basically a 2 year out of date openelec
    How can you say it is? Different playback engine (mplayer) and different front end. About the only thing in common is ffmpeg and X.

Edit: NM, I see the new 2.0 version is using xbmc as a base.
    Last edited by deanjo; 21 October 2011, 05:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• runrun
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Geexbox is not xbmc based.
    It is now... They've done their fair share of borrowing code - It's basically a 2 year out of date openelec

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    So now we have at least two small xbmc distros, this and geexbox...
    Geexbox is not xbmc based.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X