Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's why!

Ok, I'm one of those Gnome3 haters.

Why? Just because Gnome2 was just perfect for the way I work, and Gnome3 completely fail to provide a productive environment.
    These are just the firsts feature that come in my mind that I miss (or I hate in Gnome3)

1. composite is SLOW on my machine. All those animation are a HUGE waste of time
    2. I use to keep several termina on each of my workspace, and I need to switch between them very fast.
    - a taskbar is absolutely required
    - minimizing button is absolutely required
    3. I use to switch between my desktop just going on the panel applet and rolling the mouse weel: that was just easy and fast. Now I have to
    - a) use both my hands (not comfortable)
    - b) making 1/2 mile with mouse and wait while gnome3 render its unuseful animations
    4. I liked having an always visible notification area because I have made some application which display informations I NEED to constatly keep an eye on

and I could go on for half an hour.

Well, these are reasonable (I think) reasons to hate gnome3.

I'm a 10+ years linux user, and honesty it has always been fun to use linux.

Now it really sucks, and for the first time since 1998 I'm seriously thinking about trying something else.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      If you want to improve anything you might consider providing constructive feedback that provides details and suggestions instead of bitching about everything.

This article and its forum discussion is another excellent example of the degeneration of Phoronix
      I'm sure Gnome devs get a lot of feedback from Gnome/ex-Gnome users. Just read lwn.net. However, according to some Gnome dev response they didn't make Gnome3 for Gnome2 users, but for some "target".

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Seriously good product these days. You more or less get a BSD UNIX with a good set of apps. Plus the ability to run hundreds of UNIX and X apps. Best of both worlds. Further it puts some real space between me and GPL3.

Considering the amount of Open source software that Apple does support I actually end up feeling pretty good about the choice. LLVM/CLang are coming along really well offering a real alternative to GCC. All my usual tools are right there or a download away. If not Apple has been pricing commercial software much more reasonably these days.

In a nut shell I don't have to put up with GNome anymore.
        Thanks, but I prefer "broken" Gnome than mac or shitty bsd unix (hey, but there are other DEs as well!). Saying "the best of both worlds" is nothing, but your wishful thinking. There's many more in Linux than Gnome and mac is a toy for me. I don't even care about macs, so there's no reason to talk about them in this thread. There's KDE which shoots mac in the head. LLVM/CLang is still years behind GCC in few things and it's also uninteresting right now.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          Ok, I'm one of those Gnome3 haters.

Why? Just because Gnome2 was just perfect for the way I work, and Gnome3 completely fail to provide a productive environment.
          These are just the firsts feature that come in my mind that I miss (or I hate in Gnome3)

1. composite is SLOW on my machine. All those animation are a HUGE waste of time
          2. I use to keep several termina on each of my workspace, and I need to switch between them very fast.
          - a taskbar is absolutely required
          - minimizing button is absolutely required
          3. I use to switch between my desktop just going on the panel applet and rolling the mouse weel: that was just easy and fast. Now I have to
          - a) use both my hands (not comfortable)
          - b) making 1/2 mile with mouse and wait while gnome3 render its unuseful animations
          4. I liked having an always visible notification area because I have made some application which display informations I NEED to constatly keep an eye on

and I could go on for half an hour.

Well, these are reasonable (I think) reasons to hate gnome3.

I'm a 10+ years linux user, and honesty it has always been fun to use linux.

Now it really sucks, and for the first time since 1998 I'm seriously thinking about trying something else.
          I hear your pain... Belive me!

Try KDE or LXDE - LXDE doesn't have all the bells and whistle animations that Gnome and KDE have. I went back to KDE cause I don't mind a little "Bling" and its so much more functional for what I do.

Don't give up on Linux because the Gnome developers don't know what they are doing.

But, at the end of the day, it all boils down to whether you can get your work done - that's the most important part after all.

Joe

Comment

Constructive critisism:
            1. It lacks power from a standpoint of any WM available because it doesn't let you design your own workflow;
            2. It lacks power form a feature standpoint;
            3. It's unintuitive because it totaly abandons the desktop metaphore;
            4. It requires insanely lengthy mouse movements that are not required;
            5. It looks like a multi-touch tablet UI, but it requires a mouse and is not good for tablet;
            6. It failed its original design goals (hence Ubuntu has Unity right now);
            7. It consumes too much power per feature;
            8. The design is an uninspired hack-and-slash thing with "Let's throw all these things into a single UI that's going to be t3h B3sT Ev4h!!!"-teenage reaction;
            9. The toolkit is years behind Qt;
            10. The developper framework is years behind that of KDE.

Comment

Do NOT listen to them please!

I have recently installed Gnome 3.2 on Ubuntu 11.10. My only complaint is that it occasionally freezes for 2 seconds, and resumes back to work when I search for something, and apart from that slight cosmetic problems in terms of polish. But I love Gnome 3.2, I love it more than the Unity mess and I love it more than my awesome synapse+docky+global menu&windowbuttons on 10.04
              I like the window management in Gnome Shell(needs Window navigator plugin as a builtin feature, not plugin) and although the search could be faster, I think the final product is much better for me in terms of productivity since I have a lot of windows open most of the time.
              I just want a separate Ubuntu flavor to be made with Gnome Shell without any Unity.

Comment

I guess it is a matter of perspective, Mac OS is as customizable as I need it to be.

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                I would have though most of the crit you hear applied to gnome 3 could be give to lion as well. Lack of customisation. Similar design ideas etc But I got too admit the macbook air Is a fine looking machine. I have thought about getting a mac. But no its not for me.
                To be honest though customization isn't what drove me away from Linux. I went MBP in 2008 but had been running Linux for probably ten years before that with the earliest Redhat(4 or 5) releases. This on desktop hardware but I wanted a laptop at the time and even now buying a laptop to use with Linux needs research and a willingness to tinker. With a Mac I get UNIX on a laptop that is stable and mostly tinker free.

That is one big issue but I think another is the programming environment which in many ways is much nice than gnome. Gnome should have switched to an object oriented language years ago. C++ would be a good choice here. Admittedly this would be a huge undertaking but it would also help rationalize some of the API.

In any event with the advent of VMs running Linux on my MBP is very easy these days. If I need Linux it is only a quick launch of an app away. In a nutshell VM tech means that most OS's are as easy to run as an app.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

If you are scanning through thousands of icons you are doing it wrong, use the damn search. And your "frequently used" apps belong on the dock, thats what its there for.
                  Heh.. I agree.. I don't think the old Gnome 2.x / KDE 3.x models scale up at all.. Sure, it might be great for somebody who runs a few terminals and a web browser, but it's not uncommon for PCs to have over 250 games installed these days... It's just not realistic to have the traditional menu system anymore.. Under Windows, it's not so bad because you can start up steam and then have your 250+ games under there, but under Linux it's a nightmare in getting around the Gnome 2.x application menus when you've got tons of apps installed.

A lot of the people complaining sound like they just want to run Gnome 2.x... So just let them run Gnome 2.x, I really don't care..

There will always be those who want to clutch onto the old.. I know some people who still run fluxbox and Solaris... But the industry itself has long since moved on...

As far as people's needs for a taskbar, that is arguable. Psychology has long proven that the more ways people divide their attention across unrelated tasks, the less efficient they become in getting work done compared to if they focused on one task at a time. This has been proven again and again and again since the 1960s.. Anybody who has ever tried to do some coding while trying to answer instant messages at the same time knows exactly what I mean. Anybody who has ever tried to text message while driving a car will know exactly what I mean.. Computers are getting so fast now that people spend less and less time waiting on the computer to do things, so they shouldn't be multi-tasking as much as has been needed in the past. The multi-tasking mess that Bill Gates created will most likely just go away but it's unsurprising that some people want to clutch onto it because it's probably how they've been using a computer their entire lives.
                  Last edited by Sidicas; 18 October 2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    And who do you reach on Phoronix with a survey? Not normal users, only power users, nerds and haters.
                    Agree on this, I hope haters won't be so much, I hope for constructive survey... But I'm afraid there will be trolls as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                      Anybody who has ever tried to do some coding while trying to answer instant messages at the same time knows exactly what I mean.
                      I know exactly what you mean. Chat integration is another reason why I love Gnome Shell. I hope it becomes more consistent though.

Comment

Working...
                      X