No announcement yet.

It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I am still looking for is a DE without sessions. This is e.g. important if you want to run two instances of Xorg... I tried Gnome, Xfce4 and not using KWin it works with KDE. So in my opinion DEs are much to blown up at the moment anyway.
    Concentrate on shortcuts, desktop background and window management

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
      Actually telling people that they treat other people like idiots is an insult in itself, especially when they don't treat people that way. Just so you know.
      You yourself have no idea what you are talking about, sir.

Microsoft started its existence by dumping prices of own OS via agreement with IBM and preinstalling, insuring its best the user:
      - will not know about alternatives
      - will not know microsoft is optional, just as any part of machine
      - bind itself with machine as possible by overtaking protocols(1(deviate own version) or 2(deviate due to majority using ms version) or 3(sue/buy out/sabotage)) and binding hardware manufacturers
      - track down and fight any alternative
      - make others improve it
      - charge everyone

It is, like parasite, tries to achieve singularity claiming it exists for good, consuming resources and giving nothing in exchange, except result that would bind the host to parasite.
      It is interested in host not looking at it, not questioning it, accepting the situation. This means it wants its host to be as dumb as possible.

By the way, did you thought why, when you buy hardware, you are called owner. But when you buy windows, you are always called user, user?

Regarding, they do not treat people like idiots:

Comment

I think that most GNOME-Shell haters miss the point when they make a comparison of the lack of customization like in KDE. GNOME-Shell isn't about customization it isn't the kind of experience they are looking for, if you don't like it feel free to change, everyone is just so focused on just complaining the lack of customization that they actually don't focus on letting know the GNOME development team about serious problems. Take a look of KDE I've tried it on Fedora, Ubuntu (Kubuntu) and OpenSUSE. It was a buggy mess... GNOME-Shell is waaaaay less buggy but still there are some bugs that need to be corrected. Some of the bugs (or lack of certain things) I actually complained where:

1 - When right clicking the menu sometimes gets hidden behind of the gnome-panel (this happens with certain applications like Firefox for instance but others like LibreOffice don't suffer from this);
        2 - When going to activities CPU usage gets extremely high, also when pressing on Applications for the first time it takes longer than it should to display the app list (this also happens if I don't go to Activities for a relatively long period of time);
        3 - When chatting (at least with empathy) in the little chat bubbles, sometimes the whole system freezes for a while (it eventually unfreezes but it takes at least like 2 minutes which is a bummer);
        4 - In system settings, there isn't any option in network to add a username and password for a proxy, nor the ability to actually store some proxies within the same interface (this would actually be convenient for me, and probably others, since in my college wifi youtube is blocked and I use Tor to actually be able to watch videos, but the internet gets really slow while using Tor so I just activate it when I want to watch videos);
        5 - When letting Nautilus to handle the Desktop, all mounted devices shown in the desktop make nautilus hang for some seconds when pressed/selected by the first time since mounted;
        6 - When using Evolution, if I keep it open it keeps complaining after a while that it cannot ping the IMAP server for my Gmail account.

This where my main complains but I would also like the current default GNOME 3 theme (Adwaita) to be tweaked a bit since I found it awful (and no I haven't found a single GTK3 theme that I actually consider good or any nice :P) but that's something that I really don't care that much since I care more of efficiency rather than looks. Beside what I've mentioned above I've been really pleased with GNOME 3 .

Comment

Gnome-Shell

I think that most GNOME-Shell haters miss the point when they make a comparison of the lack of customization like in KDE. GNOME-Shell isn't about customization it isn't the kind of experience they are looking for, if you don't like it feel free to change, everyone is just so focused on just complaining the lack of customization that they actually don't focus on letting know the GNOME development team about serious problems. Take a look of KDE I've tried it on Fedora, Ubuntu (Kubuntu) and OpenSUSE. It was a buggy mess... GNOME-Shell is waaaaay less buggy but still there are some bugs that need to be corrected. Some of the bugs (or lack of certain things) I actually complained where:

1 - When right clicking the menu sometimes gets hidden behind of the gnome-panel (this happens with certain applications like Firefox for instance but others like LibreOffice don't suffer from this);
          2 - When going to activities CPU usage gets extremely high, also when pressing on Applications for the first time it takes longer than it should to display the app list (this also happens if I don't go to Activities for a relatively long period of time);
          3 - When chatting (at least with empathy) in the little chat bubbles, sometimes the whole system freezes for a while (it eventually unfreezes but it takes at least like 2 minutes which is a bummer);
          4 - In system settings, there isn't any option in network to add a username and password for a proxy, nor the ability to actually store some proxies within the same interface (this would actually be convenient for me, and probably others, since in my college wifi youtube is blocked and I use Tor to actually be able to watch videos, but the internet gets really slow while using Tor so I just activate it when I want to watch videos);
          5 - When letting Nautilus to handle the Desktop, all mounted devices shown in the desktop make nautilus hang for some seconds when pressed/selected by the first time since mounted;
          6 - When using Evolution, if I keep it open it keeps complaining after a while that it cannot ping the IMAP server for my Gmail account.

This where my main complains but I would also like the current default GNOME 3 theme (Adwaita) to be tweaked a bit since I found it awful (and no I haven't found a single GTK3 theme that I actually consider good or any nice :P) but that's something that I really don't care that much since I care more of efficiency rather than looks. Beside what I've mentioned above I've been really pleased with GNOME 3 .

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post

Good points here. I think I may have been experiencing the same freeze as you, but I didn't realize what was causing it (seemed random). When it freezes for you is it just the gui that freezes (I canswitch to a virtual terminal fine)? Does sound keep playing in the background ect? Then after about a minute the shell restarts itself and works again.

Anyway regarding the theme, yeah adwaita needs some work, but have you tried the zukitwo theme? Its by far the nicest, most polished gtk2/3 theme I've ever used. Much better than adwaita. And there's plenty of really nice shell themes, I really like faeince and elegance.

Besides the freeze issue gnome-shell has been working wonderfully for me. Its very polished and I think its executed much better than unity.

Comment

How about a Phoronix readers survey, followed up with an article "It's easy to guess what angers Phoronix readers"?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    How about a Phoronix readers survey, followed up with an article "It's easy to guess what angers Phoronix readers"?
                    I'd love to see that - maybe we can just do our own on Survey Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
                      I think that most GNOME-Shell haters miss the point when they make a comparison of the lack of customization like in KDE.
                      The "lack of customization" is actually a feature. Every time I use KDE it makes me want to throttle people. Instead of picking something that works they force the users to choose between a mishmash of broken and conflicting functionality.

I want to get stuff done on the desktop. The less tweaking I need to do the better off I am.

The odd part about bitching about customization is that Gnome 3 is actually FAR more capable, flexible, and open to modifications then Gnome 2 ever could dream to be.

'Linux power users' shouldn't need pages and pages and pages of tick boxes and confusing dialogs to be able to customize their desktops. People who are not power users will just get confused and lost with such horrible configuration GUIs.

Let KDE be KDE. I don't want Gnome 3 to be KDE. There are good reasons I have no desire to use KDE at all. People that like KDE can stick with it and count their blessings.

Comment

Working...
                      X