Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R300 Graphics Improvements For KDE's KWin

Phoronix: R300 Graphics Improvements For KDE's KWin

If you're using any R300/400/500 GPU with the Gallium3D R300 driver, there's some improvements coming up for you in the KDE KWin compositing window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OMG Martin is so awesome.

Comment

Even though I use the nVidia binary driver, I lower my hat before Phoronix/Micheal for giving a helping hand for the cause of having stable, feature complete OSS drivers.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        Back during XDC2011 Chicago I passed along an ATI Radeon X1300PRO graphics card to get to him so he could work out these issues.
        Wow... That's

Comment

Geez. The X1300? Isn't it like $20 a piece now? The OSS progress has been so severely hindered by lack of fund that a $20 card cannot be spared! Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            Geez. The X1300? Isn't it like $20 a piece now? The OSS progress has been so severely hindered by lack of fund that a $20 card cannot be spared! Sigh...
            Seriously. If only this scaled linearly...

Comment

Maybe the next step will be to get performance on r600+ up to speed. They've only been out for 4 some years. I don't see why dragging a window around should be laggy in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                Seriously. If only this scaled linearly...
                Well, don't know what your intention is (or which year are you living?!) but a card 10x more expensive is effectively more than 100x faster now. So it's more like exponentially.

Comment

Nice. Thanks Martin and thanks Michael.

Comment

Thanks a lot!
                    There are still people which use R300/R400 cards with latest KDE versions.
                    Unfortunately because of the problems I had to disable desktop effects in KDE 4.7.x but I used them without bigger problems in KDE 4.6.x and earlier versions.

Comment

Working...
                    X