The Sad State Of FSF's High Priority Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    You mean like fuse allows on Linux? That is the thing I don't understand about all this "microkernel" stuff. Linux already has support for userspace drivers of several types. If someone really wants userspace drivers, why can't they just code better support for that in the Linux kernel like people have already done for some systems? So rather than just dumping a well-supported and heavily-tested kernel for an entire new one, you slowly migrate (where appropriate) to a more userspace-level design. This seems to be a much more efficient approach.

You mean like the various fuse bindings?
    While fuse allows for a user-space file system implementation, you still have the same underlying file system requiring a privileged mode in the kernel. End users get to see some of the benefits of having a user-space file system while still being potentially affected by the underlying architecture's limitations. Here is some more information on the differences between monolithic kernels and microkernels: http://kilobug.free.fr/hurd/pres-en/...tml/node2.html

A system-wide user-space file system is just one benefit the Hurd has over Linux, and there are a few others that I've read about but am not very technically familiar with. The link above points to a good document on the subject. The last thing I would add is that we constantly hear of developers and different types of users wanting to add/remove/change various aspects of the Linux kernel so that it is more suitable for their use. In particular, there is a constant struggle between the server, desktop, laptop, mobile and corporate worlds in regards to the changes they want (and don't want) to see in the kernel. A microkernel would be able to handle these differences much easier for a couple of reasons. The first is that, because the microkernel itself (gnumach for now) is responsible for much less functionality, it would be easier to handle the issues/requests that arise between these competing groups. The other reason is that the Hurd servers can be individually used or not depending on the type of use desired, and completely new Hurd servers which are specific to certain types of uses can be brought up as needed for these otherwise competing users. The Hurd is much more modular than Linux by design.

Comment

Etoile...

Etoile is decent but they seem to be reinventing the wheel a bit. Last time I went into their codebase they had basically cloned System preferences.app under the name of hardware.app or something similar and the individual preferences icons were implemented the same as in system preferences.app in GNUStep. They should have just been making add ons for systempreferences.app. Where they were intending to go originally seemed to be pretty interesting but they appear to have lost their focus recently. Every time I speak to the GNUStep/Etoile developers they seem to have these crazy outlandish ideas of what they want to accomplish with their project (dynamic GUIs building themselves at runtime, you can have a button ANYWHERE!!!! that's nice but I want it in a place I'm used to, not anywhere.), but they never get the implementation down to drive interest. They need to focus on the browser/desktop environment. It has mail/music/irc/text/programming. Web browser/Video/hardware config would finish the base DE so you could use it every day as your only platform. That would drive developers towards programming for it. Right now a gnu step app looks nothing like a gnome/kde app and you need gnome/kde apps to plug the holes in the platform. If they remove those holes, more people will move to the platform. Would anyone use a mac if it had no web browser, no video playback and no display/sound controls? Of course not. GNUStep has the same problem, the developers are trying to run before they can walk.
      Last edited by DMJC; 17 October 2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        Because Linux is boring, old skool and sounds like some local Finnish dish made out reindeer intestines or some other mystery meat, i.e., something you'd really not want to eat.
        Indeed! That must be the case. I wonder if the same thinking didn't bring me to Linux years ago?

Comment

This thread is now about evaluating reindeer meat.

I find it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Revolution is cool and stuff but first and foremost you have to have something that WORKS and be able to deliver. Linux works, Haiku is in Alpha. HURD is NOT ready.
            And that's why releasing Hurd like it is now in a working state is absolutely pointless, because if we want something that works; there is Linux with a lot more drivers already.

So the only way for Hurd to succeed is being at least a thousand times more awesome in terms of design than Linux, otherwise it's just wasted time.

Comment

They want to replace google earth with open source software running with openstreetmap data? How exactly are you going to get satellite imagery from GPS traces? Right, didn't think it would work..... the data HAS to come from *somewhere*, and GPS traces won't provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                They want to replace google earth with open source software running with openstreetmap data? How exactly are you going to get satellite imagery from GPS traces? Right, didn't think it would work..... the data HAS to come from *somewhere*, and GPS traces won't provide it.
                There is already Marble and there has already been data given by the US and other countries and states to Open Street Map.

TomTom navigation, for example, already allows people to update maps by tracking in case of when road work is being done or streets have changed. It actually works better than the official maps, because those are drawn.

GPS tracking is more precise. It's like MS Office where it gets more usefull the more it is used.
                Last edited by V!NCENT; 17 October 2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  There is already Marble and there has already been data given by the US and other countries and states to Open Street Map.

TomTom navigation, for example, already allows people to update maps by tracking in case of when road work is being done or streets have changed. It actually works better than the official maps, because those are drawn.

GPS tracking is more precise. It's like MS Office where it gets more usefull the more it is used.
                  You're missing the entire point, or have no idea what google earth actually IS.
                  Google earth is about the SATELLITE PICTURES. Not the street maps. I'm not arguing against the utility of GPS traces, but about the INAPPLICABILITY TO THE PROBLEM.

Its like your boss coming to you and telling you that they need rocket guidance software, and you give them a word processor. Your word processor may be really great, but does nothing to guide rockets -- you missed the point.

Comment

@Droidhacker,

Satalite images are what was donated. Not streets.

I have to admit that they suck. (Zoomlevel not higher than the size of Germany, lol.)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      @Droidhacker,

Satalite images are what was donated. Not streets.

I have to admit that they suck. (Zoomlevel not higher than the size of Germany, lol.)
                      Well in that case, I suppose you *could* do a google earth replacement..... that sucks

Comment

Working...
                      X