Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.30 Has New DirectSound & More

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.30 Has New DirectSound & More

New Wine development releases normally come every other Friday, but last week there wasn't any Wine 1.3.30 release. Fear not, however, as the Wine developers have went forward with the Wine 1.3.30 release this Monday. Wine 1.3.30 does offer up a few interesting features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes please, the better they improve Wine, the more people will leave Windows and migrate over. I know that when Windows 8 is out, I'll be one of them.

Comment

I haven't used wine in over 2 years and I have no immediate plans to install it but I like their progress. What I'll find interesting is which of the following happens first: virtualbox gets GPU passthrough, or, wine gets 100% compatibility with all windows software. Whichever happens first is what I'll use to make a permanent switch to Linux as a main OS. I'm betting on virtualbox though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I haven't used wine in over 2 years and I have no immediate plans to install it but I like their progress. What I'll find interesting is which of the following happens first: virtualbox gets GPU passthrough, or, wine gets 100% compatibility with all windows software. Whichever happens first is what I'll use to make a permanent switch to Linux as a main OS. I'm betting on virtualbox though.
        I'd bet vmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i'd bet on reactOS over wine
          well yes vmware is an option, but i was talking about open source or at least free alternatives to wine. i'm still a little confused about what portions of vmware are free and what aren't, and what the major differences are.

i completely forgot about reactos, but i would rather use wine or windows than that. i think reactos is an amazing idea and i fully support their efforts but they're really far behind.

Comment

Actually, the first host-like speed solution won't be VBox or VMWare - it'll be Xen.
            E.g. Fedora 16 Xen capable kernel, should, with some tweaking, be capable of running a Windows guest attached to second physical GPU and yield host like performance.

Back to the subject, hopefully wine will regain working support for alsa-over-pulseaudio.
            Up until the mmdevapi rewrite, the out-of-tree PA support used by Fedora and others worked more-or-less OK.
            Post-rewrite, at least on my F15 machine, mmdevapi produces completely broken sound - though I would imagine that most of blame falls on the shoulders of the PA alsa plugin support libraries shipped with F15.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Sounds been working fine for me apart from the first release with the new subsystem

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                Yes please, the better they improve Wine, the more people will leave Windows and migrate over. I know that when Windows 8 is out, I'll be one of them.
                This

All I need from Windows is MS Office 2007/2010 and Adobe Reader X as well as Photoshop and Quicken. Not to mention also being able to run IE for those certain sites that still are IE-only. Making Wine run these apps as well as on native Windows should be a noble goal.

Of course the alternative is to run a copy of WinXP/7 in a VM using vBox or VMWare and installing a legal copy of what Win-apps I need into that copy of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Sounds been working fine for me apart from the first release with the new subsystem
                  Can you post your distro, pulseaudio, alsa and Kernel version?

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                  X