No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.2 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to be sure i`ll stick to old ways and by that i mean classisc gnome for anoether 12 months . Things move fast in opensource world , i bet i`ll find lots of goodies when i`ll be ready to give anoether chance to gnome 3 or even unity.

Comment

According to the release notes... they haven't actually changed anything *USEFUL*.

Comment

Sorry if this is not the right thread to answer this question.
        But does there exist a full blown wrapper / bindings for gnome 3.2, so you can interface with gnome with C++ or C#? I really don't like interfacing gnome in C.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          According to the release notes... they haven't actually changed anything *USEFUL*.
          Yeah right. It actually sounds more like you have no idea what your talking about.

It is now easier to resize a window as the area for this has been increased.
          So if your running a pixel thin border on your windows you don't actually have to click on that pixel line in order to be able to drag-resize windows.

Titlebars, buttons, and other controls are less tall, making it easier to use GNOME on small screens.
          Improves use of screen real estate. Useful.

Notifications in the lower-right corner now include a counter. This makes it easier to see how many emails are waiting for you without having to open your email program, or to determine how many messages you have missed in a particular chat.
          Useful.

The highlight effect that indicates that an application is already running has been made more obvious.
          Significant usability improvement.

In the user menu, notifications can be configured independently from the chat status.
          Nice for people that don't like pop-ups.

The workspace switcher in the overview remains expanded by keeping its full width displayed when you are using more than one workspace.
          Reduces the need to hunt around for windows. You can see everything you have open in one view much easier.

Instead of assuming Evolution, the application for the calendar drop-down can now be customized.
          Useful for people that don't like using Evolution for everything.

The battery power status is now shown using a bar.
          Easier to understand

Focus-follows-mouse handling has improved, though more work is needed.
          I don't like FFM, but other people are used to using it. So this is a nice improvement for those people.

Documents, contacts, calendars ? They can be stored locally on the computer, but storing this type of information online is becoming increasingly popular. In GNOME 3.2, Online Accounts provides one place to manage these online sources. These online accounts are automatically used by Documents, Contacts, Empathy, Evolution as well as the calendar drop-down.
          Nice. Big improvement in usefulness. It's irritating to have to depend on Evolution for managing and syncing everything.

Certain web sites are used as if they are applications. Some sites are opened the minute the computer is turned on; the site is open all the time and checked periodically. Wouldn't it be nice if GNOME treats these sites as actual applications?
          F-ing epic. Most applications I use at work are web-based nowadays and more and more I use at home are web-based. This means that you can switch between web applications and interact with them just like regular 'native' apps.

Contacts is a new application focused on people. The goal is to provide one overview of people, whether the contacts are stored online, within Evolution or the chat application Empathy.
          Soo nice. But you actually have to have friends and such.

Then there is a whole slew of improvements for handling hotplugging of devices. Things like wacom tablets and rotating touchscreens... which is always been a issue for Linux.

Better media hotplugging supported also.

Better chat intergration. Better contact searches.

Finally fixed the aliased corners issue. People have been bitching about this one for _YEARS_.

New theme. Easier to make/debug themes.

AFP file protocol support.

Manage certificates easier. Better encryption support.

Better network roaming. Better WIMAX support.

Disable indirection for full screen games. Now there is no longer a performance penalty for playing games on a composted desktop.

And a whole bunch of stuff besides that. It's a pretty massive release, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            But does there exist a full blown wrapper / bindings for gnome 3.2, so you can interface with gnome with C++ or C#? I really don't like interfacing gnome in C.
            Gnome traditionally uses 3 'native' bindings: C bindings, C++, and Python.

Mono project is for C# and supports using GTK/Gnome stuff as apposed to Window's native toolkit.

Besides that they have had bindings for java and many other languages.

If you are not hung up on a specific language I suggest checking out Vala. It's Gnome's answer to C#. It's a custom language that you can use. It compiles into C, which then you can build using GCC or whatever. It has the advantages of memory management and such without the overhead of having a VM or whatever. I have seen some very nice applications cranked out in very short order by experienced developers using Vala.

Comment

See http://developer.gnome.org/
              GNOME 3 app development works well with JavaScript, Python, Vala, C++, C

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Gnome traditionally uses 3 'native' bindings: C bindings, C++, and Python.

Mono project is for C# and supports using GTK/Gnome stuff as apposed to Window's native toolkit.

Besides that they have had bindings for java and many other languages.

If you are not hung up on a specific language I suggest checking out Vala. It's Gnome's answer to C#. It's a custom language that you can use. It compiles into C, which then you can build using GCC or whatever. It has the advantages of memory management and such without the overhead of having a VM or whatever. I have seen some very nice applications cranked out in very short order by experienced developers using Vala.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala
                Okay thanks.
                Well I am considering making a polkit GUI for Gnome's control panel, but I am not sure it is possible creating a control panel element using C++, C# or even Vala?

Comment

Okay thanks.
                  Well I am considering making a polkit GUI for Gnome's control panel, but I am not sure it is possible creating a control panel element using C++, C# or even Vala?
                  I'm not sure what you mean with "control panel".

The Control Center is no longer meant to be extensible for third-party developers.
                  The Top Panel can be extended via Gnome Shell's extension system. These extensions must be written in Javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean with "control panel".

The Control Center is no longer meant to be extensible for third-party developers.
                    The Top Panel can be extended via Gnome Shell's extension system. These extensions must be written in Javascript.
                    Yeah sorry. I meant the Control Center.
                    So it is not possible to extend the control center in any way? I am asking because I know it is possible to do that in kde with kcm modules. I like the idea of installing a "third party" module, if you want to control more than the standard control center things.

Comment

Yeah sorry. I meant the Control Center.
                      So it is not possible to extend the control center in any way? I am asking because I know it is possible to do that in kde with kcm modules. I like the idea of installing a "third party" module, if you want to control more than the standard control center things.
                      Yes, it's no longer possible. I read the rationale behind this decision on some Gnome mailing list, but I can't remember what it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X