Among The Tech News From The Wiesn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among The Tech News From The Wiesn...

Phoronix: Among The Tech News From The Wiesn...

Here's among the news stories this past week from the Oktoberfest wiesn.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why the Augustiner tent? It's the most boring one...

Comment

Solaris 11 is FINALLY imminent.
      I just caught the very end of the Oracle live announcement concerning the SPARC T4.

Did anybody catch it and if so, was there a Solaris 11 announcement also?

Comment

Given Mr. Larabel's lack of accuracy when reporting on Transgaming in the past I'd take the possibility of an acquisition with a grain of salt. Not to mention that the Cedega branding is dead, it's now Cider/GametreeLinux.

Fortunately the possibility of an acquisition has been murmured about elsewhere. As best as I can research the murmured suitors this go around comes down to Nvidia, Intel, Amazon, and Google. If Mr. Larabel can put down the fermented hops long enough it would be nice to know whom he has heard is the suitor for Transgaming's tech.

As far as Solaris 11, the geek in me screams with delight.

The sensible user in me thinks: oh god now, they'll use Gnome or Unity as the default UI.

Comment

"Dampfnudeln" was demonstrated at the wiesn.
          So, has it been tasty and ready for prime time or are they still working hard to improve the recipe?

Comment

The potentially new VirtualBox features intrigue me a lot. MOAR info plz.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              The potentially new VirtualBox features intrigue me a lot. MOAR info plz.
              I wish they would just figure out proper USB passthru support before adding more whizzbang features.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                I wish they would just figure out proper USB passthru support before adding more whizzbang features.
                Ahh, that's one thing I haven't encountered yet. I just started with VB and am in love. Once the afterglow fades I'm sure I'll start finding all the annoyances.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Ahh, that's one thing I haven't encountered yet. I just started with VB and am in love. Once the afterglow fades I'm sure I'll start finding all the annoyances.
                  It works ok for storage and HID devices but that is about it. VMWare's support however works with damn near everything (at least I haven't found a device that wouldn't work).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    It works ok for storage and HID devices but that is about it. VMWare's support however works with damn near everything (at least I haven't found a device that wouldn't work).
                    I haven't tried VMWare yet... in your experience how do the two compare in terms of performance? I get some choppy lag sometimes in VB but my cores seem bored so I'm thinking it's video-related lag.

Comment

Working...
                    X